FORUMS: list search recent posts

turning auto render clip plane off when rendering z-depth

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mYthprod
turning auto render clip plane off when rendering z-depth
on Jul 2, 2005 at 7:31:37 pm

Just going through a tutorial book and noticed something, it suggests you may have to turn this option off int he camera's AE if you're rendering z-depth because with this option on the clipping planes might vary in an animation. If you're taking z-depth into a compositor it would make sense having the auto render clip plane option turned on would screw things up inside the compositor. Has anyone else noticed this or is this a standard thing to turn this option off while rendering z-depth? Just curious as I'll be doing some z-depth passes within the next couple of months.

- mYthprod
(John David Hutton)

* Build Your Own VelocityQ. See how * :
http://www.customflix.com/Store/ShowTtl.jsp?id=205835

Return to posts index

Frank
Re: turning auto render clip plane off when rendering z-depth
on Jul 5, 2005 at 10:24:19 am

It makes complete sense to me to turn of 'clipping plane' for correct Z-depth. (don't know if I understood your question?)
Are you rendering out of Mentalray? If so - Good F*#%@n luck! I found that mental ray wont include the Z pass in an iff or rla file and After affects therefore can't read the Z channel. Therefore creating more composting work for you.
Maybe I'm just wack? How do you go about it?

Return to posts index

Robert Morris
Re: turning auto render clip plane off when rendering z-depth
on Jan 12, 2006 at 1:55:54 am

I've been using AE 6.5 along with Maya and the Mental Ray Z-Depth render. I have to take the IFF that Maya renders, open the animated frames in FCHECK, and then resave the animation as TIFF or JPEG Files. Make sure Z-Depth is checked when you open the IFF in FCHECK. Yes, it's an additional step and a pain, but I haven't figured out another way yet. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has.

-Robert

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]