FORUMS: list search recent posts

Animating lights changes in Repeat UV Texture

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
graham
Animating lights changes in Repeat UV Texture
on Jun 29, 2005 at 2:24:23 am

I have created a nurbs cylinder with a phong shader. I have placed a grid texture on the shader and used a targa file as the grid filler color. Both the grid filler colour and the grid have a Repeat UV of 20 and 60. The end result that I have is a camera flying down the inside of a twisting cylinder with a nice grid pattern. Now for the question!

I would like to be able to control the light level of each section of the grid. Now the grid has only been created by single files with a repeat UV. Is there any way I can animate light level changes in each section of the grid?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Graham

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: Animating lights changes in Repeat UV Texture
on Jul 3, 2005 at 4:24:55 pm

How do you want to animate them? Do you want pulses, patterns, random flickering...?

I think most likely your best bet is going to be to build these lighting changes into your file texture (and use an image sequence instead of a single image).

-Steve

Return to posts index

graham
on Jul 6, 2005 at 10:41:31 pm

Thanks for the response Steve. Sorry in my late response, as I have been away over the last few days. Trying to enjoy a few days of summer!

I would like to be able to create various patterns in my grid cylinder.
1. completely random
2. pulses coming from the back to the front
3. spiral patterns.

If I use an image seq for my texture, wouldn't that change each UV section at the same time?

Again thanks for any help in advance!

Graham

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Jul 11, 2005 at 4:08:19 pm

Hi, Graham. Sorry for my own delay in replying--I just finished a format and reinstall.

I forgot that your whole file texture is visibe in every cell of the grid pattern. What you'd need is a second file texture (with U and V repeat values of 1) to control the brightness in the way you want.

However, you might be able to get away with just using ramp textures. You could easily create a pulse or spiral texture with ramps, and by animating the 2D placement node, you could create the cycling effects you want. A fractal texture, or a noisy ramp texture, could also give you your 'random' pattern.

The only problem with these methods is that the brightness level would change slightly within each grid cell, which may or may not be acceptable for you.

-Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]