FORUMS: list search recent posts

maya cloth

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Damian
maya cloth
on Jun 21, 2005 at 2:26:08 am

hey there guys,
What I wanted to achieve is a flag blowing in the wind.
As I am relatively newcomer to Maya Cloth I was wondering in order to create this flag, is using Maya Cloth the most effective way to do this? If so, can I then attach an .eps to the surface of the cloth the same way that you do with a nurbs object in the image plane function?

Any help would be much appriciated.
cheers
D.

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: maya cloth
on Jun 21, 2005 at 2:40:30 am

Hi, Damian.

Yes, Maya cloth would be an effective way to simulate a flag. Keep in mind that softbodies and nonlinear deformers can do a passable job if stylized motion is sufficient.

I'm not as clear on the second part of your question. If you're talking about texturing your flag with an image file, yes, that can certainly be done very easily just by applying a shader with a File Texture assigned to its colour.

Good luck,

-Steve

Return to posts index

Damian
on Jun 21, 2005 at 2:44:02 am

yeah thanx a million! They were exactly the answers I was looking for.
To animate the flag though would it be advisable to add a dynamic field to it in order to get the feeling that it's moving in the wind?

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Jun 21, 2005 at 3:16:03 am

[Damian] "To animate the flag though would it be advisable to add a dynamic field to it in order to get the feeling that it's moving in the wind?"

If you want to use Maya's dynamics engine to simulate the cloth motion, yes, I believe you must. I'm not too familiar with cloth simulations myself; I recommend you make sure you give your Cloth manual a good read. It probably has a flag tutorial in there somewhere.

Good luck,

-Steve

Return to posts index

Lars Bunch
on Jun 22, 2005 at 2:24:09 pm

Hi,

Here's a pretty good flag tutorial that does not require cloth at all and looks quite realistic.

http://www.dezfx.com/HTML_Pages/TutorialPages/animatedFlag_1.html

This worked very well for me, but I stumbled a bit on some of the directions. Probably because this was my introduction to dealing with softbodies. If you follow it very closely, it should work.

I ended up using a quicktime animation as the texture which worked well.

Lars

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]