FORUMS: list search recent posts

3d Studio Max into Maya

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rory Hinds
3d Studio Max into Maya
on Jun 16, 2005 at 10:35:46 pm

Hi there

Sorry I'm sure this is a tied topic but I can't seem to figure it out.

I have a 3d Studio Max model and I'd like to import it into Maya.

Please could someone teach me how to do this.

Thanks
Rory

Maya 6.5, Mac OS X 10.3, ATI X800, 4Gb Ram, G5 Dual 2Ghz, 4Tb HD, Final Touch HD Colour Finishing, Cold Beer :-)

Rory Hinds
http://www.whatismine.com

Return to posts index

Glenn Moore
Re: 3d Studio Max into Maya
on Jun 17, 2005 at 2:51:22 am

Someone may have better info but... Maya can import 3DS files. You have to first make sure the 3DS plug-in is installed and is activated in the Plug-in manager (Window>>Settings/Preferences) . The Plug-in should be on the disk. You can also do a search on the Alias site to get it. After it's installed and active, you will have that as an Import option in the drop-down list of formats.

I'm assuming 33DS and 3DS Max are both acceptable by Maya. 3DS is because I import these files all the time.

Hope that helps

Return to posts index

Jon W.
on Jun 17, 2005 at 3:17:46 am

do a search here, it's been answered before. part of the free bonus tools from Alias website

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
on Jun 17, 2005 at 6:23:07 pm

the fbx file format is your best bet. It is now included with both 3ds max and maya 6.5 natively.

Return to posts index

Joaquin (Kino) Gil
on Jun 17, 2005 at 7:32:06 pm

Recent tests, including our own, have demonstrated that the fbx encoding, while powerful, is not completely compatible with Maya 6, and can lose even traits saved *from* Maya from being re-read. It should suffice for MOST situations, but if your model comes back seemingly empty or incomplete, or weirdly distorted, that's why.

3ds import is a "true" complete import plugin (in fbx you encode and decode to an intermediate format), and fortunately easy to get for Maya. You have it in your installation disk or it can be downloaded easily from Alias.com

If only the model is needed, one can always try sving and reading back as DXF files or as OBJ. Even free and shareware translators like crossroads can deal with those.

NOTE: you will be able to read .3ds files with the plugin, but not .max files.

take care

.k.

Return to posts index

Rory Hinds
on Jun 18, 2005 at 11:14:22 am

Thanks for all your feedback.

The models I have are in 3DS format.

I thought I had all the Bonus Tools installed but I can't seem to find the 3DS import option. I can see it in the finder in the Bonus Tools folder but when I go "import" in Maya it doesn't work importing the 3dS model, coming up with an error.

I did go into the Plug-In's Preferences and saw one option called "studio import" which I loaded up but these doesn't seem to do the trick either.

Any ideas on how I get the 3dsImport Bonus Tool to load?

thanks
rory

Rory Hinds
http://www.whatismine.com

Return to posts index

Glenn Moore
on Jun 18, 2005 at 3:13:56 pm

Did you put the 3DS plug-in your Plug-ins folder? That's the first step. You should see the 3DS option after you go back in the Plug-in manager.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]