FORUMS: list search recent posts

Winding road

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mYthprod
Winding road
on Jun 13, 2005 at 9:11:45 pm

I've attempted a winding road on top of a ground plane and am failing miserably. :-) The road has a lot of t-intersections and twists and turns. I've tried making CV curves and extruding along a shaped cube but the roads are separate pieces and look a bit sloppy because of the various pieces moved into place. Is there a simpler way I'm missing where I could have the road be one piece of geometry in the shape I need?

- mYthprod
(John David Hutton)

* Build Your Own VelocityQ. See how * :
http://www.customflix.com/Store/ShowTtl.jsp?id=205835

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: Winding road
on Jun 13, 2005 at 10:34:36 pm

NURBS aren't really very good at branching structures, so if you need the roads to be all one surface, you might want to explore polys.

I would draw the various segments of road out as NURBS curves, then path extrude a short segment (the road profile) along them. Once you've got them all, you can just Combine them and then join them together, deleting and adding faces as necessary.

Of course, you run the risk of ending up with a jagged road unless you use a lot of polys. Are you sure you can't use NURBS? What do you mean when you say it 'looks sloppy'? Maybe you just need to increase your render tesselation.

-Steve

Return to posts index

Joaquin (Kino) Gil
Re: Winding road
on Jun 14, 2005 at 1:50:10 am

One solution could be to loft curves for road bulge and terrain bulge around.

.k.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]