FORUMS: list search recent posts

Just need a hint..

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glenn Moore
Just need a hint..
on Jun 9, 2005 at 7:18:06 pm

I have seen liquids animated in TV commercials (like Listerine, et al) and was wondering if that is do-able in Maya or is it from Real Flow (first)? I know you can animate along a curve path. There is a tute in one of my books on animating a row of flowers where they grow one-by-one as time moves on. (There are a couple of fluids that could work in the Visor.)

Can I animate a water tube the same way? I followed the tute but with water and it didn't really do anything. There was a scene in the Abyss that was similar to what I want to try. A tube of water went throughout the underwater station going from room to room and, at one point, just collapsed and fell to the ground.

If that makes sense, please give me starting point or what section I should look for in the book. I don't want it handed to me..I'd like to work it out but with a little help. Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Michael Marsek
Re: Just need a hint..
on Jun 9, 2005 at 8:58:50 pm

Here's a tutorial that might help

http://www.mtmckinley.net/tut12.html

And maybe applying the principles of this tutorial with Maya's Particle Curve Flow

Also you might try a nurbs tube and converting it to a softbody and deforming it with turbulence and then using either a 2d fluid texture or some other animated textures.

Fluid tubes are pretty hard to do unless you've got Real Flow or Glue 3d. Even then it's pretty time consuming from what I understand.

Hope this is of some help.

Michael Marsek
3D Artist
MANIC
mmarsek(at)nycmanic(dot)com

Return to posts index

Glenn Moore
on Jun 9, 2005 at 9:28:23 pm

Thank you, Michael. I could'nt find anything in the postings about it. I'll chack out that tute.

Return to posts index

Chris Wiegman
on Jun 17, 2005 at 6:25:32 pm

I would think that an extruding tube with a rounded cap and a nice animated bump map would create the effect you are looking for. When it comes time for the water to drop: I think what they did in the Abyss sequence you mentioned was a blend of the CG tube falling/ dissappeaing and some actual water dropping. Good Luck

Return to posts index

Glenn Moore
on Jun 20, 2005 at 9:36:28 pm

Thanks Chris. I've put that one on the backburner for the moment but I'll give that a shot.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]