FORUMS: list search recent posts

baking fur at every frame, can this be done? or baking ramp shader color as texture sequence...

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Marsek
baking fur at every frame, can this be done? or baking ramp shader color as texture sequence...
on Jun 9, 2005 at 6:23:08 pm

So I'm wondering if this is possible. It's the only downfall Christopher lists in his method of using Fur to create a painterly type approach here:

http://www.creativecow.net/articles/cherubini_christopher/brushstroke_paint...

This is a very cool technique, but I either need to be able to bake at every frame or figure out a way to bake the color channel of a ramp shader being using light direction. This is what I'm using to drive my fur's color, but since it changes with light direction and camera movement I need to bake either the color ofr the fur. I get such cool results in still frames, it's unfortunate you can't do either of these things as it would open up so many possiblities for NPR rendering.

I've posted my related question about the ramp shader baking on cgtalk here in case any inquisitive souls need more info it's here:

http://cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=247242

I think through light maps in Mental Ray baking the ramp shader color maps would be possible.

Anyway thanks to anyone who has suggestions.

Michael Marsek
3D Artist
MANIC
mmarsek(at)nycmanic(dot)com

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
Re: baking fur at every frame, can this be done? or baking ramp shader color as texture sequence...
on Jun 9, 2005 at 8:25:26 pm

you would have to script a mechanism to bake the texture per frame, which is possible. Currently the way texture baking is implimented in maya doesn't support multi-frame baking, which is why you'd have to script the procedure to make it work that way. I experimented with it on a side project. A bit of pre-processing time but it did work. I would release the script but its under non-disclosure.

Return to posts index

Michael Marsek
Re: baking fur at every frame, can this be done? or baking ramp shader color as texture sequence...
on Jun 9, 2005 at 8:51:24 pm

Thanks for the reply Sean. I understand you can't release the script. Is there some place you could point me in the direction of some pre render scripting resources. I'm new to this and don't expect anything handed over, but any tips/recommended resources would be appreciated.

Michael Marsek
3D Artist
MANIC

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
on Jun 9, 2005 at 10:22:10 pm

look into the convertSolidTx mel command. It will allow you to specify a texture node and a surface to bake textures on. You can have your mel script loop through all the surfaces and their materials per-frame, and then use the -fileImageName flag to give it a name with a frame number included. Once the textures are baked to disk you can map them into the fur object(s) and render. In this way you should be able to bake the effect of lighting and shadowing into the fur too, if you want to.

Return to posts index

Michael Marsek
on Jun 10, 2005 at 7:40:11 pm

Thanks for the tips Sean, I'll be looking into this method.

Michael Marsek
3D Artist
MANIC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]