COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pyro
Timebase/framerate issue
by
on Jun 6, 2005 at 10:19:31 pm

Hi Cows!
This one has me pretty stumped.

I'm working on a matchmove project and I'm having a heck of time sorting out the framerates using a 23.976 fps AVI file on an image plane.

I've tried all sorts of things already, but I must be missing something simple (I hope).

I removed the pulldown from the clip (in AE) and processed an AVI that is 23.976. In Maya I have the timeline preference set to 24fps. However, it is interpreting the AVI 20% shorter than it is. For instance, the actual clip contains 122 frames but will only show 97 of them (the exact difference between 30 and 24...) I would have though Maya would ignore timebase, especially since you keyframe the advancment of the imageplane footage manually.

This is causing me some good-grief!

I did begin the scene with prefs set to 30fps, but upon changing the timebase to 24fps, the AVI clip is still only reaching 97 frames with the missing frames never displayed.

Any tips for approaching timebase and matchmoving between a clip and Maya so the frames in clip will all display?

Thanks for any advice.

Return to posts index

Pyro
Re: Timebase/framerate issue
by
on Jun 6, 2005 at 10:50:16 pm

Jeesh, Cows! I'm sorry. Yet again I figured the issue out.

In AE, the default imported timebase for sequencial image clips is 30fps. You need to interpret footage and force it to 24fps. Make a comp with 24 timebase, and render the AVI clip at 24, and is should work.

The hidden step was any assumption I made along the way.

The key after making the clip, is to make sure the timebase in Maya matches what you output. But is appears the trips and traps will be found in the steps you take outputing the pulldown removed footage. Double check the timebase of the clip and the comp you output from.

Sorry for taking up space.

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
on Jun 6, 2005 at 11:26:23 pm

Also remember that unfortunatley Maya is happer with a sequence of images instead of movies...

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

Joaquin (Kino) Gil
on Jun 7, 2005 at 8:53:09 pm

Actually the caveat you notice is a problem in After Effects, as far as I can test not found in any other major app used for compositing. All the others apparently interpret a frame as a frame, allowing the artists to work effectively regardless of the frame RATE, which onlt the output section ops deal with.

AFx insists on working in Quicktime "movies" which as we all know are completely arbitrary in content, so frame rates are pretty much forced from the start, same as a slew of other assumptions that do no reflect industry standards. As the price puts Afx within reach of more people, all these assumptions become standard... traps in the workflow.

In truth a fame is a frame is a frame, Thats what pro steups deal with. Staying with frames lets you do things like X-Men and LOTR and War of the Worlds. Quicktime ONLY thinking is just for the Web.

Good call, Pyro. We have to be aware of these quirks in tools to get decent results. Thanx..

Take care.

.k.

Return to posts index

pyro
by
on Jun 8, 2005 at 2:21:55 pm

No problem, Kino.

Actually AE has a preference for default timebase of frame sequences, allowing you to default interpret frame based material at whatever timebase you require. This 'feature' is more a bump in the road for folks like myself who have to deal with mixed timebases alot. 2:3 pulldown transfers, true 24p and 60field video as well, etc.

Were I dealing with cinematic footage daily, I could set and forget it.

It can certainly be a bit trying, when you have so much to remember that relies on human procedures!
Especially, since one little mistake can be the ruin of an over-night 3D render that's due to ship the next day! Trips and traps everywhere!

pyro

Return to posts index

Joaquin (Kino) Gil
on Jun 8, 2005 at 3:07:15 pm

Totally grokked.

My wish for the day would be to have tools that do not make "helpful" decisions, but tools that work :)

Return to posts index

Pyro
by
on Jun 8, 2005 at 11:34:08 pm

My wish for the day would be a "Make Awesome Animation..." button or menu item! :)

Return to posts index

Joaquin (Kino) Gil
on Jun 8, 2005 at 11:50:16 pm

We're almost there. Witness the "jiggle deformer"

:)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]