FORUMS: list search recent posts

All work and no play

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glenn Moore
All work and no play
on Jun 6, 2005 at 9:30:22 pm

I have ventured in the realm of Shading Networks. I'm having flashbacks of Calculus III (my bete noire). I go throught the steps and..nothing.

This is my plight:

I am trying to create a texture (w/bump) with a second texture under that one but showing through. I created a back and white psd doc in Photoshop so, theoretically, the two texture are visible at the same time. I add the initial (top) layer and the second texure using Layered Shader in Hypershade.

I can't get the Photoshop doc to do anything. I tried connecting it to the Transparency attribute of the 1st later but I keep getting mixed up with what's going where. There're lines all over the place!! I can't get my brain around all the links. I get what it's supposed to do but I can't make it do it. Is there some very straight-forward way to make this stuff link up? Just for the record, I have at least 5 Maya books and 2 sets of DVD's...I'm reading I'm reading.

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
Re: All work and no play
on Jun 6, 2005 at 10:09:39 pm

When working with the layered shader the easiest way to get the second material layer to show through the first material layer is to connect your black and white photoshop texture to the transparency o the first materials. As such:

photoshopImage -> MyLambert.transparency

Once this is done you can easily drag the MyLambert and MyBlinn onto the layered shader palette:
If you middle mouse drag and drop them in this following order it will be lambert on top, blinn beneath

MyLambert -> LayeredShader (1st on left)
MyBlinn -> LayeredShader (2nd from left)

With the Layered Shader (and Layered Texture for that matter) you never have to manually wire connctions. simply middle-mouse drag and drop the Material ball or texture onto the Large rectangular area in the Attribute Editor of the Layered Shader.

If you need clarification of a specific thing, let me know.

Return to posts index

Glenn Moore
on Jun 6, 2005 at 11:00:14 pm

It sounds like I don't need the Hypershader then? Once I get the Attribute window up with the colored rectangles, I can click and drag the textures to there? I'll follow your steps and let you know if what I did worked. Thanks Sean.

Return to posts index

Glenn Moore
on Jun 7, 2005 at 2:07:55 am

Got it. Thanks Sean.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]