FORUMS: list search recent posts

I located the 3ds import plug - but then....

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
r303
I located the 3ds import plug - but then....
by
on May 28, 2005 at 11:36:34 pm

Thank you. I found it. And it worked... BUT!

I don't seem to be able to move the imported 3ds model around. Well, I can move it around a bit, but it dosen't seem to be in the same 3d space as the rest of the scene. How come?

I move it around and where normal objects I've created would rush from one end of the scene to the other, my imported 3ds models just shifts a bit. Also it does not apear in the Top, Side or Front view - only in the perspective view.

Also all other object always sits in front of the imported 3ds model. As if it were a background of some sort.

Have any of you experieced anything likely?

(agin: I'm totaly newbie at maya. Quite pro at AFX, but newbie at this one.)

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
Re: I located the 3ds import plug - but then....
on May 29, 2005 at 4:56:57 pm

Edit>Group on the right side in the channel box scale it down to xyz = .83333
(3DS is in larger units than Maya). Then you can ungroup it again with the option to preserve scale translation etc. and it should be as you expect.

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

r303
by
on May 30, 2005 at 7:09:22 am

Look now, that worked! Only though I had to scale it down to 0.02

The importerd 3ds object came in as one polySurfaceShape, and can't be ungruped. It acts as one object eventhoug I can see that it is build up from differet shapes and textures.

Anyway thank you so much.

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
on May 30, 2005 at 2:31:45 pm

It will vary from 3DS model to 3DS model. That means that the original app/person that made it combined all the surfaces into 1 mesh. Had they been seperate before 3DS export from MAX or whatever they will import that way into Maya. If you know MAX and would like to select individual combined surfaces the same way in Maya you do this:

Edit Polygons > Selection > Selection Constraints (checkbox)

Turn on All and Next and at the bottom of the window check Shell.

Leave this box open while you select Faces of the 3DS object and it will select individual shells that make up this model. You can then Polygon > detach these elements.

This will seperate this all. I'd recommend making a little script of this from the scripteditor history and adding to a shelf.

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

Glenn Moore
on May 30, 2005 at 6:42:58 pm

Jason,

I too have 3DS objects that were made as 1 piece. I tried the steps you mentioned but it still says that the polysurface has only one piece. Ignored. Without splitting them, it's very difficult to animate beyond basic movement. Any thoughts?

Should I select Faces or stay in Object mode while doing those steps?

Thanks

Return to posts index

r303
by
on Jun 1, 2005 at 7:45:41 am

I do all you say untill the "You can then Polygon > detach these elements".
I dont have a menu called Polygon (I have Polygons and I asume you mean that one).
But there is no entry under polygons called detach. Niether under Edit Polygons.
There is a Seperate entry. Could it be that one?

I havent tried it yet because maya freezes when I try it.

Return to posts index

r303
by
on Jun 1, 2005 at 8:44:01 am

Well I actually suceeded in breaking down an imported 3ds object.
It was wuite simple. Selecting it and seperating it. But!
It only works when the object has no external files assigned to it. That is, if my imported 3ds object is
shaded by maya generated colors and surfaces I could seperate it. But when the imported 3ds object was shaded
with external picturefiles, it made my maya hang, and I need to ctrl+alt+del quit it.

I have uploaded the two objects so you can try it for your self.

Can you seperate the wasp?? That is the one I need (I actually need a fly, but I'm goiing to change the wasp into one).

http://www.backstagefilm.dk/problem.html

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
on Jun 1, 2005 at 12:54:34 pm

I do understand that coming from a different 3d app or non at all; Maya can be very confusing and daunting at first. Example I said Detach in my earlier post when I did mean "Separate," but they are both the same thing. Your not going to get very far without buying some learning matls and simultaneoulsy readin the manual!

That is what you see people post occasionally RTFM, it means just that, but I'll leave the F portion of the acronym to one's imagination.

I don't have Maya at my machine but will look at your file a bit later today when I do. Maya shouldn't be freezing but there can be a huge group of possible problems here that I just can't help you with without knowing more. Are you using the PLE? is your machine fairly up to date ram, cpu wise? Do you know what the basic constructs of a polygon are and how they relate to eachother? (verts, polys, edges etc.)

Good luck,

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

r303
by
on Jun 1, 2005 at 4:25:28 pm

Thank you so much.

Believe me, I normaly read all I can inclusive the manual, before starting asking questions. But I'm on a timescheduele here so I broke my own rules, by posting fairly simple questions here.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]