FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looking for models. (A lot for 3ds, few for maya - why?)

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
r303
Looking for models. (A lot for 3ds, few for maya - why?)
by
on May 26, 2005 at 3:28:07 pm

Hi,

I'm new at Maya. And I mean very new. There are amoebas on Saturn that make better models than I.
Anyway, I searched the internet for FREE models to use with maya. But I seem to find a huge amount for
3ds, lightwave and something else. Where do I look??

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Glenn Moore
Re: Looking for models. (A lot for 3ds, few for maya - why?)
on May 27, 2005 at 3:18:34 pm

Maya has a plug-in for 3DS. I don't know about the other types but you can use that one. I belive the plug is included with Maya. If you can't find it, you can go to the Alias site to download it and then put it in your Plug-in folder. You will have to go to Plug-in Manager to activate that plug after that. From then on, you're coasting..well...maybe sliding a little :-)

Return to posts index

Jon W.
on May 27, 2005 at 3:58:38 pm

it's included in the bonus tools. do a search here it was discussed a while back.

Return to posts index

r303
by
on May 28, 2005 at 11:34:16 pm

Thank you. I found it. And it worked... BUT!

I don't seem to be able to move the imported 3ds model around. Well, I can move it around a bit, but it dosen't seem to be in the same 3d space as the rest of the scene. How come?

I move it around and where normal objects I've created would rush from one end of the scene to the other, my imported 3ds models just shifts a bit. Also it does not apear in the Top, Side or Front view - only in the perspective view.

Also all other object always sits in front of the imported 3ds model. As if it were a background of some sort.

Return to posts index

Jon W.
on May 29, 2005 at 9:35:24 am

I'm don't understand what u mean by "I can move it around a bit, but it dosen't seem to be in the same 3d space as the rest of the scene."

The reason for "Also it does not apear in the Top, Side or Front view - only in the perspective view." is probably because your camera's clipping plane is set too low. In viewport, click 'view' then 'select camera' change 'far clip plane' to something higher like 10,000

Return to posts index

r303
by
on May 29, 2005 at 10:39:46 am

What I mean with "not the same 3d space" is the following.

When I move it, the move tool arrows moves through the scene as it supose to do. But the imported 3ds model only moves a tiny bit. When I dolly around in perspective view, the imported 3ds model also sits in the space quite odd. Like it's not really itegrated in the scene. It's like someone did a really bad rotoscoping and you can see that the object is'nt quite really in the room.

It's very difficult to explain, but I'll try a bit more: When I dolly and tumble around in my scene, all my maya modled objects displaces acordingly to the perspective view. They are really there in the 3d space. Going around 5 cylinders setup in a circle formation, and they stay there. I view them from all sides and angles. But the imported 3ds model, isn't staing on it's spot. It's like it floats around and I can never get it between to other object. It will allways stay behind them. Even thoug I drag the imported 3ds model towards me until it gets so huge that you can't realy see what it is.

I hope I made my self clearer.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Mythprod
on May 30, 2005 at 3:23:06 pm

Sounds like you brought it in weird, like it's an image plane instead of a model or it's being camera mapped or something strange. Or is it possible it's way back in Z-space? The model's big but it's translated way back from the rest of your scene? I've ran into that before.

- mYthprod
(John David Hutton)

* Build Your Own VelocityQ. See how * :
http://www.customflix.com/Store/ShowTtl.jsp?id=205835

Return to posts index

Glenn Moore
Re: New Question - Seperation of a one piece poly
on May 30, 2005 at 7:13:13 pm

Anyone know how I can seperate a poly that came as one piece. I have models in several formats including 3DS and OBJ. I'd like to animate them but as one piece, it's hard to do anything beyond rudimentary movement. I tried the obvious 'seperate' option in Edit Polygons. There has to be a way to do this. Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

r303
by
on Jun 1, 2005 at 7:49:39 am

It was because it was so huge and way out of the z-axis. I could have figured out this myself, but I never imagined an object so big. It was enourmous. It was a lightbulb and bigger than a planet!

Thank you so much.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]