FORUMS: list search recent posts

Delivery to Avid

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pixel Monkey
Delivery to Avid
on May 26, 2005 at 1:43:54 pm

Avid editor just starting to look at MAYA as a graphics option. (I've always been a bit of a late bloomer.)

How does it deliver files to Avid? I live in a world of QT, OMFI and MXF media files, so sorry for the ignorance.

______
/-o-o-
`(=)`/...Pixel Monkey
`(___)

Return to posts index

Lars Bunch
Re: Delivery to Avid
on May 26, 2005 at 3:20:40 pm

Hi,

I often need to supply quicktime files to clients who want them to import directly into an Avid. Since most of what I do in Maya ends up going through After Effects as its final stage, I render the Maya animation as a sequence of iff files and then composite and render in After Effects using Avid's Meridian Codec. This imports to the Avid directly.

If you are using a different computer for Maya, then you may need to download the Meridian codec from Avid's site.

You can render your Maya animation directly as a quicktime file using the Meridian codec by going into Render Globals and selecting Quicktime Movie (qt) under "Image Format" and clicking on the "Compression" button directly below that and selecting the appropriate codec.

But then again, I just tried a test of this and the batch renderer seems to have hung after rendering the 10 frames. Well, anyway, it works when I go through After Effects.

Hope this helps,

Lars

Return to posts index

Lars Bunch
on May 26, 2005 at 3:42:47 pm

Or I suppose you could render the Maya animation as an image sequence that Avid recognizes such as Pict and then import that.

I'm not an editor and I only have the most limited experience with Avid so I really don't know what I'm talking about here, but I suspect importing a Pict sequence would take a long time. My clients seem to appreciate having Quicktimes in the Meridian codec as the import time is greatly reduced.

Again, I hope this is useful,

Lars

Return to posts index

pyro
by
on May 28, 2005 at 12:12:50 am

As mentioned, just convert the .IFF sequence using After Effects.

Complications come from film gate and pixel ratio which AE can do as a matter of course. It can be easier to render the Maya at 720x540 and aspect with AE into a quicktime with alpha.

Avid doesn't handle pre-multiplied matts with superblack alpha if at all. Another reason to use AE intermeadiately. Ultimately, the compositing artist may need to comp the scene for the conform and deliver it to the Avid fully prepped and comped to avoid alpha halo fringing and aspect issues.

If this sounds like Greek, make sure your graphic artist understands the caveats.

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]