FORUMS: list search recent posts

projecting textures onto specific polygon faces

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Dawydchak
projecting textures onto specific polygon faces
on May 19, 2005 at 8:45:19 pm

using Maya 6, I've created a container which is probably best described as a little ketchup pack in bottle form. I basically have something along the lines of a walnut shape that has a seam all the way around and two obvious halves. I can easily project a texture onto it by setting my shader colour up as a planar projected image... it looks great and I can tweek the scale and position as needed. problem is, it projects clear through and onto the back side as well. I don't want that. I have a back graphic. and if I did figure out how to stop it from projecting straight through, I'm not sure I could figure out how to project the second texture onto the same object.

that method is actually new to me.

while reading the book Learning Maya 6 | Foundation I learned a slightly different way of doing it in the space ship tutorial. it outlined a method that allowed me to select specific polygon faces and project tif files onto them. it was really easy and is EXACTLY what I want to do.... I just can't remember how to do it! I lost my book! it's really frustrating.

can anyone offer any suggestions? buzz words? lingo? something to jog my memory?

thanks...
Matt

Return to posts index

Matthew Dawydchak
nevermind
on May 19, 2005 at 9:05:08 pm

nevermind... figured it out. stupid me didn't know you could select separate faces and apply different surface shaders. oh well, I never pretended to know anyhing about Maya :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]