FORUMS: list search recent posts

rotating multiple objects around a common centre (pivot) point

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jamespstevenson
rotating multiple objects around a common centre (pivot) point
on May 19, 2005 at 3:19:26 pm

I'm trying to rotate multiple objects around a point cetral to all of them (as opposed to their local centre points). I'd like to do this without permanently changing the object's pivot points. In 3DS Max you would just chose Object rather than Local on the rotate tool options to acheive this, but that doesn't have the same result in Maya.

Thanks -

James Stevenson | 3d Animator, SCEE Cambridge

Return to posts index

Chad Briggs
Re: rotating multiple objects around a common centre (pivot) point
on May 19, 2005 at 3:36:00 pm

Select all the objects , group them (ctrl-g). modify->center pivot. Now select the group and you should see all the objects rotate around the groups pivot. I think thats what your wanting.
-chad

Return to posts index

jamespstevenson
on May 19, 2005 at 3:45:00 pm

Thanks for your reply - I didn't think of adding a group node, that should do it.

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
on May 28, 2005 at 7:13:52 pm

You can also ALWAYS move the pivot point of objects. In fact unlike MAX the pivot point is animatable. This means that you can select several objects, go into modify pivot mode and snap all there pivots to a common point for your translation or what ever your doing. Then you can move the pivot points back to there center or whereever again.

Wanted to point out a useful script for this type of thing which automates this "like MAX" kinda but is very robust.

pivotToolBox.mel by Dirk Bialluch. http://www.lightstorm3d.com

hope that helps.

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

jamespstevenson
on May 30, 2005 at 2:00:49 pm

Thanks for taking the time to respond - very helpful. I'm almost fully converted from Max now! James

Return to posts index

Eric Chard
on Feb 20, 2013 at 11:33:47 pm

BUMP: I tried grouping some objects that were already part of a group, and that didn't fly. I wanted to multi-select a portion of a group and rotate multiple objects around one pivot point (as alignment, not animation), but MAYA wouldn't group them. :(

++++++++++++++++
"Putting the HARM in 'harmonica' since 2005."
++++++++++++++++

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]