FORUMS: list search recent posts

extrude tool problems (among other things)

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Fred
extrude tool problems (among other things)
on May 13, 2005 at 12:04:32 am

Hello All,
I'm starting to get back into Maya and trying to learn the tools again, problem is I have forgot most of what I learned. Anywho I was trying to follow a bad tutorial about a teacup in a book I bought and am having a tough tough time with the extrude tool (I'm betting the book has my thinking so convoluted that I can't get to answer of the problem).

I have the "cup" part modeled and am now working on the handle. As the book says to do, create a 4 CV point handle, then create a NURBS circle and scale it to an elipse shape. Select the 4 CV handle then shift select the NURBS circle. Next go to Surfaces | Extrude. When I do this I get crazy funky shapes that kind of resemble the tube of the handle and the end points get positioned elsewhere. Is there something I'm missing or not doing right?

Also, since this is in the very early stages of the modeling is there any free websites that will give decent tutorials and explinations of tools so I won't keep having to ask the COW (I'm getting ready to get to birails and NURBS deformations so I know I will be back). Thanks for everyone's help.

--Cheers!,
Chris Fred

- Maya 6.0.1 Unlimited - WinXP SP2 - Maya 6 "The Complete Reference" by Meade and Arima -

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: extrude tool problems (among other things)
on May 13, 2005 at 4:33:54 am

Hi, Chris. It sounds like the tutorial is expecting your 'Extrude' tool to be configured to certain settings--but yours is set differently.

Instead of just selecting 'Surfaces -> Extrude' from the menu, select the little box beside the word 'Extrude' to open up the tool's settings window. There you will be able to adjust many aspects of the extrusion and get the results you want.

[Chris Fred] "any free websites that will give decent tutorials and explinations of tools"

Honestly, the Maya docs are a great jumping-off point. Spend an afternoon skimming through the chapters about the tools you want to use, and you'll be well on your way--especially if you used to be more familiar with them, and just need a refresher course.

-Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]