FORUMS: list search recent posts

slooooww batch render

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
keith
slooooww batch render
on May 11, 2005 at 4:51:35 pm

for some reason, if i choose batch render in maya to render out an image sequence, it goes REALLLLLYYY slow, even though rendering the frames in maya is very very quick...any reason why the batch render would be slower than the maya built in renderer?

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: slooooww batch render
on May 11, 2005 at 7:30:51 pm

First, what is your output resolution, and what is your preview resolution?

If you're just clicking the 'Render frame' button in Maya's GUI, then you might be rendering a small preview image, which would explain the discrepancy.

If that's not it... does your scene have particles in it? If so, make sure to cache them.

-Steve

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
on May 11, 2005 at 11:11:57 pm

Actually check for any simulation, cloth, fluid, hair, jiggle deformer. All of those objects will try to runup during render if a cache has not been created.

Return to posts index

keith
on May 13, 2005 at 5:20:56 pm

the scene is an image sequence piped into a texture placed on a plane that deforms by simple animation, nothing really that fancy. my test resolution is the same as my render globals resolution, so it shouldn't be that...its rather confusing.

Return to posts index

keith
on May 13, 2005 at 5:31:35 pm

also, i don't know if it helps, but my batch render never shows up in my script editor. it simply says "rendering with maya software" or whatever i'm rendering with, but it doesn't cycle through the frame progress or anything

Return to posts index

Joaquin (Kino) Gil
on May 13, 2005 at 5:50:58 pm

Salud, Ketih.

Sounds like either the scene or the installation has a path issue. If you are not seeing anything in the reports, it probably means that the renderer is not going ahead after some gruesome task.

You need to debug the process. Start by making another material, say a gray phong :) and drop that on you plane. batch render. See if the behavior is there. If it is, isolate another element and continue, if it is not, the problem is in the shader, and could be anything, from permissions to a filename misspell. Test on a non-deforming plane to see.

another idea: Maya converts any image into a texture at render time unless it is fed to it as a textiure to begin with. Textures are organized in a particular way and are square and sized only to powers of two. That way they can be very efficiently warped and every pixel can be tracked by "blind" routines. The process of making into texture and warping could be taking a toll, depending on what you are doing.

hope this gives you iideas on how to attack the problem.

.k.

Return to posts index

keith
on May 13, 2005 at 5:53:33 pm

it had nothing to do with the scene. i just figured it out. it was a stupid firewall problem that was killing my batch render. thanks for the help everyone

Return to posts index

Glenn Moore
on May 15, 2005 at 5:15:27 am

always the last place you look huh :-).... I've had some of those events.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]