FORUMS: list search recent posts

Favorite hotkeys/optimization tricks

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon W.
Favorite hotkeys/optimization tricks
on May 7, 2005 at 8:38:20 pm

I was messing around in the hotkey/marking menu preferences figuring out which keys were free and found the "Shift" + "I" hotkey does an isolate select and auto hide everything else. Extremely helpful when you quickly want to work on one specific object and not have to deal w/ everything else, so I mapped "Shift" + "O" to toggle the scene back to normal.

Just thought I should share and see if anyone else has little hotkeys/tips to speed up workflows.

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
Re: Favorite hotkeys/optimization tricks
on May 8, 2005 at 11:09:12 pm

I mapped the c to go to component mode because I find that jumping up to the Function keys at the top of the keyboard is combersome. I liked having a hotkey that was closer to the qerty keys.

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
Re: Favorite hotkeys/optimization tricks: Intelligent Hotkeys
on May 10, 2005 at 4:27:41 am

Thinking more about this there is something I've done with maya hotkeys that is pretty cool, albeit advanced.

hotkeys in maya are just snippets of mel code get triggered when the key combination they are assigned to is activated.

One real cool thing you can do with maya hotkeys is make them intelligent by having the command gather information about the state of maya to determine exactly what the hotkey function should do in different situations. As a simple example: currently Maya has the number 7 mapped to show all lighting contribution in a viewport. With a little modification to the mel code bound to that hotkey you can have the hotkey determine if there are lights selected when pressing 7 to only visualize the selected lights lighting contributions, otherwise visualize all lights.

In this way you can sort of overload hotkeys to do more than one task depending on scene events, or particular selections, or even what menu-set happens to be active at the time.

A little known technique but its fancy and can prove to condense a lot of hotkeys down to a few if you couple similar commands together into an intelligent hotkey command.

Return to posts index

Jon W.
Re: Favorite hotkeys/optimization tricks: Intelligent Hotkeys
on May 10, 2005 at 9:46:16 am

yeah i have this love/hate relationship w/ Maya right now... love the flexibility of mel and the openness of the program, hate the seemingly random problems and how it's not really very artist-friendly.

that component mode one is good, definitely will use that one. also remapped some keys for 'play animation' 'step one frame back', etc. so now it has similar hotkeys to Final Cut.

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
Re: Favorite hotkeys/optimization tricks
on May 10, 2005 at 8:22:56 pm

At highend3d I remeber people putting together a list of the favorite hotkeys. 1 that I didn't know about that I thought I'd throw in in cntrl+spacebar, this will hide all UI elements and doing it again restore them the way they were before (not to a default state) Cheers.

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]