FORUMS: list search recent posts

3d stroke in live action

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lev
3d stroke in live action
by
on May 6, 2005 at 8:52:37 am

Hi im dedicated to learn how to animate a 3d stroke and place it in live video?

I know maya is capable of this some how.... or is there another application that will make this job easier?

Im reffering to some of PSYOPS commercials that involve 3d strokes that are rotated on axis

How can I do this in maya, or is it possible to do this in another application?

Im on a mac!

If you can help thanks

Lev

Return to posts index

Chad Briggs
Re: 3d stroke in live action
on May 6, 2005 at 4:54:51 pm

if you check out the maya ribbon tutorial i have posted on the cow, that will get you started in the right direction.
-chad

Return to posts index

Jon W.
on May 7, 2005 at 2:31:40 am

Actually related to the ribbon tutorial, anyone know how to animate a growing rectangle instead of a flat ribbon? Is there anyway to close the hole on a NURBS extrude? I tried to use "fill hole" on a poly extrude but doing doesn't close off the ends, it tries to connect one end to the other.

The only other thing i could think of was using a motion path with a nurbs or poly rectangle but that way its not really 'growing' but instead moving...

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on May 7, 2005 at 3:10:16 pm

Sure thing. After creating the extrusion, you can select the isoparm at the end of the extrusion and choose Surfaces -> Planar. So long as you have History on, it should follow the end of the growing tube as you animate it.

As for the poly version, it sounds like your profile curve is open. Before extruding, use the Open/Close curves tool (probably with the 'Blend' option) to ensure that your profile curve is closed and periodic. If you've done this correctly, the 'Fill Hole' tool should work just fine.

Good luck,

-Steve

Return to posts index

Jon W.
on May 7, 2005 at 8:31:27 pm

Ah planar... doh :) Works great, thx a bunch, was pulling my hair out.

Return to posts index

jason brummett
on May 10, 2005 at 8:29:47 pm

haven't seen the affect your after but Maya makes this very easy to do a write on affect.

Just use PFX strokes. Look under your stroke shape for Min and Max Clip and animate from 0to1 or vica versa.

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]