FORUMS: list search recent posts

Projection a Tiff or JPG image onto a model

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glenn Moore
Projection a Tiff or JPG image onto a model
on May 1, 2005 at 12:23:03 am

I have a model of an animal which has an accompanying Image file for the skin. I can't for the life of me get things to line up. I can get the image to project but it doesn't look like it's oriented properly. This is what I'm doing:

1. I load the model of (say) a dog. OBJ format.

2. I right-click on the model and select "Materials>>MAterial Attributes.

3. For the Color Attribute, I clicked on the checkerboard icon and selected File.

4. I select the file with the TIFF (or JPG) image of the Dog skin.

The colors come over to the model but they are not aligned. I can't figure out how to line up the snout colors, legs, etc. Is there some secret I'm missing???

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Chad Briggs
Re: Projection a Tiff or JPG image onto a model
on May 1, 2005 at 4:17:00 am

i think OBJ's are polys only, so your probably dealing with a polygon mesh. From the sound of it, the UV's may not be laid out correctly. look up UV mapping in the maya help. UV mapping is basicly taking your polys and "flatening" them so you know where to put the texture. If you open up the UV editor, select your mesh, and it looks like a mess in the UV editor, then you have some work ahead of you getting your UV's laid out. There are several tutorials on this all over the web if you google it (check out highend3d.com as well)
-chad

Return to posts index

Glenn Moore
on May 1, 2005 at 4:41:21 am

Thanks Chad. I was reading something about that in my books and it did show a flattened image. Thanks for your help, as always. I know how to focus my help search now.

GM

Return to posts index

Glenn Moore
on May 2, 2005 at 4:27:56 pm

Sadly, Chad, it does look like a mess. I can't even identify some of the body parts lol. I'll give it a shot though.

Return to posts index

Joaquin (Kino) Gil
on May 1, 2005 at 6:18:15 pm

in order for you to do that you need to project the texture, you are just assigning it in the order the polygon ARE. you would have to go EDIT POLYGONS>TEXTURE>PLANAR PROJECTION to get what you need. Select the projection that matches the side view of your model.

This method only works for symmetrical objects. The edges smear across the other two planes. Good for spaceships, strange choice for dog :)

.k.

Return to posts index

Glenn Moore
on May 1, 2005 at 6:36:38 pm

Thanks Kino. Symetrical (in this case) meaning based on basic shapes like speheres, cubes, etc.). So aligning the side view should make it line up? Have you ever used Deep UV? I'm dowenloading a demo of it . It's supposed to make this process easier.

Hey, Kino, do you have any projects or models out there I can take a look at?

Return to posts index

Joaquin (Kino) Gil
on May 2, 2005 at 1:48:24 am

Symmetrical: that has symmetry. I used it to mean shapes in which one "side", for example the left, is a "mirror image" of the right side.

There are three main kinds of symmetry: BILATERAL as in right side, left side, RADIAL as in the arms of a starfish and SELF-SYMMETRY, as in Mandelbrot fractals and Julia Sets, where the shape of the larger details is made out of many smaller versions of the same shape.

I was referring only to LATERAL SYMMETRY, as in the two sides of a car or a dreadnought, where projecting the image from the side would "dress up" the model just fine, but anything in the precise side axis would have its texture image "smeared" or "stretched" all across that axis. Think projecting your face on a cube. The side faces surrounding the one you project on would have what amounts to a "one pixel" pattern, stretched from one side to the other, since those sides did nott receive any more image. You'd need to use cubic mapping. It is sometimes easier to make your own sets of UV's.

I have been using Deep UV and Deep Paint 3D for a long time. So much that I no longer use much the Maya internals. You can see examples of my work at

http://home1.gte.net/kino

Click in the Gallery link.

.k.

Return to posts index

Glenn Moore
on May 2, 2005 at 7:46:52 am

Thank you for the clarification. It confirmed that we were talking about the same thing. I'll try to work on Deep UV and the UV mapping in MAya. So far, it's not working. The map is still not aligning properly. I need to do some more reading.

Your work is insanely good. :-) I'm working to get to that point someday.

As always, your help is appreciated.

Return to posts index

Joaquin (Kino) Gil
on May 2, 2005 at 5:54:50 pm

Thanks. Get good so we can learn fro your ideas :)

.k.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]