FORUMS: list search recent posts

resizing render size without altering camera?

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chad Briggs
resizing render size without altering camera?
on Apr 29, 2005 at 3:47:33 pm

Hey gang, heres a question for you. Lets say i've got my camera set up to render at 1k x 1k. No say I want to expand my "canvas" so to speak and render at 1200 x 1200, but keep my camera in the exact same place that it is rendering that 1k comp? In other words, i want to add "bleed" to my image for those of you who know the term in the print world. Much like the canvas command in photoshop (add bg area to your file). any ideas on how to do this in maya?
thanks
Chad

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
Re: resizing render size without altering camera?
on Apr 29, 2005 at 4:04:36 pm

What's stopping you from doing the canvas expansion in a post production package? If that's how you'd do it in photoshop, you could do it the same way in a compositing package.

The problem in 3d with giving yourself more "head room" so to speak is you have to modify the camera. Either by zooming out or physically translating the camera farther from the subject. If you're subject is cropped to close the only way to loosen it up is to adjust the camera. There may be some film back settings that project the image farther from the camera but I don't think it will be kind to you.

Return to posts index

Thomas Rydberg
on Apr 29, 2005 at 6:38:02 pm

Hi Chad,

Maybe you could duplicate your camera and pull the duplicate back a little. If needed, tweak some settings on the second camera if it helps it match the first camera better. You could render an image from camera2 a little larger, then composite the additional area from camera2 around the rendering for camera1.

This is kludgy, may or may not work, but it might be worth trying.

- Tom

Return to posts index

Chad Briggs
on Apr 29, 2005 at 10:39:30 pm

yeah, that was one route i considered but, hoped for a more elegant solution. I may just have to do it tho. thanks tho.

-chad

Return to posts index

Chad Briggs
on Apr 29, 2005 at 10:43:43 pm

the reason is because i have objects outside the framing range that I'd like to include in the render, but I liked the position of the camera where it is. Basicly, i'm rendering something out to a 25x26 poster, but the print guy wants me to render the whole scene so he has room to move it around and change things without me having to re-render. It's not really that big of a deal, i can pull out a bit, just wishing there was an easier way to do it without moving the camera.
-chad

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
on Apr 29, 2005 at 11:38:27 pm

zooming out, but that will change the visual depth slightly, depending on how much you have to zoom.

Return to posts index

Joaquin (Kino) Gil
on Apr 30, 2005 at 12:57:58 am

Or change the lens. Your field of vision will increase -- and distort at the same time. Instead of zoom-out use a shorter lens, like if your lns is 35 mm, change to 24. Some parallax effects will be noticeable but can be compensated for.

.k.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]