FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lifespan on particles (sparks)

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mYthprod
Lifespan on particles (sparks)
on Apr 26, 2005 at 8:53:11 pm

I'm doing some sparks and am using blobby surface with a real short life span and fast emission rate. In retrospect I could've probably animated a few small glowing spheres but now that I've got my emitter and particles set up I'm trying to figure out how to emit only 8 or so particles and shut off. I get close to what I want with setting a max count to 8 and choosing "lifespanPP only" as the lifespan mode but I think it wants me to do a per particle expression or something in the lifespanPP section of the per particle attributes section, which I'm not sure of. The reason I'm using lifespanPP is because the particles are spit out and stop which is what I want, but in this mode they live forever. do I want to set an expression based on time maybe? Maybe I'm on the wrong track.

- mYthprod
(John David Hutton)

* Build Your Own VelocityQ. See how * :
http://www.customflix.com/Store/ShowTtl.jsp?id=205835

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: Lifespan on particles (sparks)
on Apr 26, 2005 at 9:47:39 pm

Depending on how much precision you need, you might be making this more complicated than it needs to be.

The usual way of turning emitters on and off is by keying their 'Rate' attribute. Try keying the rate from zero to some high number that produces the number of particles you want, then back to zero, over the course of a frame or two. Use stepped tangents for a real 'spurt' of particles.

Then you can use the lifespan controls to make them die off properly.

If there's some reason this won't work, post again and we'll see what we can figure out.

-Steve

Return to posts index

mYthprod
on Apr 26, 2005 at 9:51:56 pm

Ack! Key the rate! Makes sense. :-P Jeez, long day I guess.

Thanks!

- mYthprod
(John David Hutton)

* Build Your Own VelocityQ. See how * :
http://www.customflix.com/Store/ShowTtl.jsp?id=205835

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Apr 27, 2005 at 3:33:10 am

We've all been there. :)

You're welcome.

-Steve