FORUMS: list search recent posts

Maya Unlimited vs Student Edition

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Raygun
Maya Unlimited vs Student Edition
on Apr 18, 2005 at 3:23:45 pm

Hello - is there a difference between Maya Unlimited and Maya Unlimited Student Edition? Any limitations, or is it the exact same program? I qualify to purchase the SE and was curious.

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
Re: Maya Unlimited vs Student Edition
on Apr 18, 2005 at 3:52:45 pm

the only difference is you don't own the software. You get a license for 1 year and then the license expires. Plus you're legally forbid from using the software for monitary gain (can't do commercial work and get paid for it). Other than that, the software is not crippled in anyway.

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
on Apr 19, 2005 at 2:38:07 pm

Also keep in mind that you don't have Fur, Live, Fluids, etc. and most importantly (Kinda crippled) you can't take student edition maya files into commercial versions of Maya so you can lose work from Student to professioal transition (Not positive on this but have read a lot of threads complaint threads about this).

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
on Apr 19, 2005 at 4:32:05 pm

This must be clarified. The maya PE version, which is the free version you can download from the website is crippled in that you have watermarks everywhere and you do not get maya unlimited features (fur, live, hair, fluids). You also cannot use any plugins and the file type that it saves is not compatable with the commercial version.

BUT, if you get a student license for maya unlimited, it is the entire maya unlimited package. I'm not talking about the free PE version. And I think the original poster was talking about a student license. You will get fur, hair, live, fluids, and it will work exactly as it would if you purchased the software outright. Except you only get it for 1 year.

Return to posts index

George Loch
on Apr 23, 2005 at 12:50:17 am

[Sean Fennell] "Except you only get it for 1 year."

I don't believe this is true. It is a perpetual license and will only expire once your status as a student changes.

If it were me, I would buy Maya Complete and then when your done with school opt for their Academic->commercial upgrade. It ends up being a little cheaper in total anyway.

gl

Return to posts index

Raygun
on Apr 19, 2005 at 5:02:06 pm

Thanks to all for the resposes. It was very informative - to clairfy, I was asking about the Unlimited Student Edition, not the Personal Edition - I think it does not make sense to purchase it based on your comments because I was unaware that the license is only good for a year. - I would not be using it for commercial purposes so that's not an issue.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]