FORUMS: list search recent posts

rendering edges on a ribbon

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joe
rendering edges on a ribbon
by
on Apr 2, 2005 at 5:23:44 pm

I've created a ribbon following Chad's tutorial, however whenever I render it the edges are extremely choppy I have the settings set to Quality: Production Edge Anti-Aliasing: Highest Quality. If it helps here is a picture of it. http://www.excellentkicks.com/ribbon.jpg I tried tweaking the tesselation settings but it didnt seem to help. (although I'm not too familiar with them)

Return to posts index

Chad Briggs
Re: rendering edges on a ribbon
on Apr 2, 2005 at 5:37:11 pm

defintely a tesselation setting. What do you currently have your tesselation set to? Select the ribbon surface and look in the attribute editor.
-chad

Return to posts index

joe
by
on Apr 2, 2005 at 7:19:26 pm

by default (which was used for the image above)
Curvature Tolerance: Medium Quality
U Divisions 1.5
V Divisions 1.5
All others are currently off. Advanced and Secondary are off.
I tried changing curvature to Highest and rendered current frame inside maya and didnt see much difference

Return to posts index

Jon W.
on Apr 2, 2005 at 8:25:03 pm

I haven't gone through the tutorial but off the top of my head it seems like your curve has too few points. Try selecting the curve you extruded the surface to, assuming you still have history on, rebuild the curve and add a bunch of more points.

Return to posts index

Chad Briggs
on Apr 2, 2005 at 10:28:53 pm

what you need to do is crank up your u and v divisions. these attributes basicly tell maya how many polys to insert between each isoparm on a nurbs surface. turn on "show tesselation in shaded view" (or something like that) and when you adjust the uv tesselation, you'll see it get more hi poly and less hi poly in the shaded viewport.(it doesn't work in wireframe mode)
-chad

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
on Apr 2, 2005 at 11:03:37 pm

Hi Joe,

With the ribbon selected under Tessellation settings turn on Display Render Tessellation. This will show you in the viewport exactly how smooth the geometry will render. What might be best is to open the Advanced tab and turn on Enable Advanced Tessellation. You can increase both sliders until you get a very smooth result and a lot more polygons.

Maya's automatic tessellation is very well set up for primitives, but when you model your own geometry from scratch it tends to fall very short.

Return to posts index

joe
by
on Apr 3, 2005 at 5:31:13 am

very heplful info thanks alot!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]