FORUMS: list search recent posts

Custom WB and Color in General

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Melinda Jimenez
Custom WB and Color in General
on Jan 10, 2018 at 8:22:36 pm

Hello Everyone,

I recently upgraded from a Canon T5i to a T7i. It made a huge difference for me and I love it! With that said, I record manually and AWB just doesn't work for me. So I learned about custom white balance and purchased the white balance reflector (with the grey on one side and white on the other http://a.co/9n6rSe4) and have been using that with the custom WB option. My problem is that when I use that option, it always makes the image/picture, really cool toned. When I look in the mirror, I am way warmer, as is my studio, than what I see on the camera lcd and on my laptop. If I switch to another option like "Fluorescent" it looks good (or at least better than custom). Any advice? I am filming with a Canon T7i, 24mm Lens, 3.5 aperature, 1/60, 800 iso, auto focus. I also use a Ring light that is about 5000k (natural light) and the light bulbs in the room are also natural light vs tungsten. I use Sony Vegas Pro 14 to edit, which I use to correct this problem in post production.

I also want to add the the picture, aside from being cool toned, is also really dark. I notice because my hair is light brown and in the footage, it's close to black. Help?

Thanks,
Meme

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Custom WB and Color in General
on Jan 10, 2018 at 8:52:49 pm

I don't really know the capabilities of the T7i so this might not be useful info... but if the camera will allow you to dial in the exact color temperature you want, I think you'll get much more likable results than if you use a white balance feature, or any presets. I actually haven't hit the "white balance" button on a camera in probably 20 years, literally... I always dial in the exact degrees I want.

So, let's say you are shooting outdoors in daylight, which "normally" would be 5600° but that looks a bit too cool to you, then you can crank it up to 5800° or 6000° to warm it up.

BUT... your camera might now allow that, you might have only white balance and preset functions. If that's the case, you can use an old-school technique to trick your white balance into giving you the warmer tones you are looking for. To do that, don't white balance on white or gray, balance on a pale blue surface. That will skew the white balance into looking a bit warmer. There used to be sold "warming cards," sets of white balancing cards that were various shades of light blue to help with that. I don't know if those are still sold, but it's worth a Google.

If your images are too dark, that's not a function of the white balance, that's a function of exposure. Sounds like your images are just underexposed. Use a higher ISO or a lower f-stop number... or adjust the exposure bracketing if you are using auto exposure (which I won't lecture you about, but you shouldn't be doing that either).

Hope this helps....

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Melinda Jimenez
Re: Custom WB and Color in General
on Jan 10, 2018 at 11:06:54 pm

Thank you so much. Unfortunately, I cannot adjust the kelvin. The white balance has a few settings with a number next to it. For example: "Tungsten 3200K or White Flourescent 4000K." There is also another setting in AWB: "AWB and AWBW(white priority). So it seems that I have to either correct it when editing or pick one of the settings provided. I just don't understand why, if the room doesn't have any tungsten lighting, does the custom WB ,make the picture even more cool toned, no warmth whatsoever.

I am using auto exposure (-_-) lol. I am no pro; still learning. I thought that by putting up the level to my ring light, that would suffice, but the only thing that happened was my face got brighter and hair stood dark as well as the background.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]