Digital Distortion Dropout

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
lisa dunn
Digital Distortion Dropout
on Sep 1, 2017 at 1:02:26 pm

Hi there
wondering if anyone can help me.
I’ve been filming with Canon Vixia HF S21 as a second camera and suddenly digital distortion occurs half way through filming. I’m left with unusable footage unless there is a plug in or fix that can used in the edit. Final Cut X or After Effects. the distortion runs across horizontally the entire frame as you can see in the images below.

screenshot2017-09-01at1.53.25pm.png

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
Re: Digital Distortion Dropout
on Sep 1, 2017 at 5:23:52 pm

If this is embedded in the video file (confirm by looking at it on different players, like VLC), then there is no specific plugin to repair it. If it's a player error, then you might be able to get away with recompressing the file.

You haven't specified whether it's just this frame, or if it's continuous? If it's continuous throughout the second half of the video, then I'm afraid there is no easy fix. It might be more practical to reshoot. If it's just a few frames here and there, you could probably do some things to repair it.

One thing you might try is the After Effects Wire Removal plugin. It's designed to remove wires from flight rigs, but could easily be positioned at the ends of your distortion to blur it out with the surrounding pixels; the thinner the glitched pixels, the better.

Return to posts index

lisa dunn
on Sep 1, 2017 at 8:34:37 pm

Thanks for your response.
Yes it is continuous. It starts two thirds in to a 2 hour filming session and remains there throughout. I'm wondering what caused it too?!

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Sep 5, 2017 at 4:40:57 pm

It looks like a codec error, which would imply a glitch in the processor. Could even be a problem with the sensor. But without files to look at, and the camera to test with, I couldn't tell you for sure. I would shoot tests with the camera to see if it returns.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]