Canon C-300 MARK II vs Sony PXW-FS7M2

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
Canon C-300 MARK II vs Sony PXW-FS7M2
on Jul 11, 2017 at 12:08:17 am
Last Edited By Craig Alan on Jul 11, 2017 at 1:36:50 am

Canon C-300 vs Sony PXW-FS7M2

Now that they are selling within the same price range at least for this month.

Thoughts?

Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic HPX250P, FCP X 10.3, teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Patrick Sheppard
Re: Canon C-300 MARK II vs Sony PXW-FS7M2
on Jul 11, 2017 at 5:35:02 pm

I have no experience with either camera, but having looked at both (and read or listened to what others have said), it depends on the feature set you want.

The two main things that I recall about these cameras are:

-- The FS7's biggest advantage is the high frame rate capture for super slow motion shots.

-- The C300's color science is just so nice, and doesn't require the post-production manipulation that Sony's needs to get to that eye-pleasing point.

Maybe try searching for "Canon C300 Mark II vs. Sony PXW-FS7M2" and look at the various articles, reviews and videos...

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 11, 2017 at 6:11:45 pm

Thanks Patrick, From what have read either cam if shot with Lut 3 will give you a nicely processed, balanced, pleasant look.
Unless of course you have a colorist or advanced editor to do the same custom. This is true for any 4K raw footage. I figured someone on this forum, who has been a pro DOP or Camera Op, would have experience with both cams. Or maybe a side by side sample reel (I tried but I'll try different keywords on a google search).

Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic HPX250P, FCP X 10.3, teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Sep 2, 2017 at 6:11:55 am

I decided on the Canon C-300. I felt at that same price point that the Canon had the better build quality and better ergonomics in terms of basic controls. Though Sony seemed to have a better form factor, once you rig up both cameras its a mini difference. I also use Canon Lenses and although the Sony can use a speed adapter that actually adds a stop of light its still an add on. Canon works better in auto focus. Though Sony does have a higher frame rate, its still not a great cam for slow motion. Canon has better color rendition and better image of CUs on faces. Though Canon claimed a greater dynamic range its pretty much a wash. I like Sony's wide shots better - seems sharper . But side by side they are very close to each other in terms of image quality. Both have problems with Highlight fall off. I like the fact that Canon uses C-fast cards rather than a proprietary card that Sony makes. Canon has a solid track record with this Camera. When Canon's was much more expensive the Sony out sold the Canon. I felt that the Canon had the better look in shadows in that its grain looks better than Sonys that looks very noisy. Side by side in identical lighting you can se the difference.

For slow motion and run and gun and no permit shots, I'm thinking of getting one of Sony's Mirrorless Cams. Incredible video image for the price.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]