FORUMS: list search recent posts

XF300 Profiles

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Gutermuth
XF300 Profiles
on Jan 27, 2017 at 2:12:40 am

Hi All

I started using a couple of XF300's last year for theater work, and I was wondering if there are good profiles for this type of lighting?

I have been primarily using the cameras without a profile, and just fix stuff in post. - but it would be nice to squeeze more out of these...

One thing for starters is color saturation - seems like it's more than enough, and almost to the point where it's overkill - perhaps the chroma levels are even taking away from sharpness at times?

I really love my XLH1s - if Canon had only updated that camera with 2 CF cards, I'd be golden, but it's hard to go back to even SDI with my Samurai when you can dual record to CF cards at 50mps...

so, my question is, can someone recommend a site or on here even, with some good profiles? I want to fall in love with these cameras.

Thanks!

Rob Gutermuth
Media Creations

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
Re: XF300 Profiles
on Jan 27, 2017 at 5:20:33 pm

Try here. On the forum there are listings for a lot of great profiles. Enjoy the xf300. I still find myself using it a lot for theatrical work. I can't get a better image off of any other camera, when their is good light. Not great DOF but that's to be expected.

https://vimeo.com/groups/canonxf

Al

Return to posts index

Rob Gutermuth
on Jan 28, 2017 at 4:06:55 pm

Thanks Al

but, when I click on that link, I see some videos, etc and even after joining the group, can't see where you'd download these, etc...

Just curious, what settings you tend to like with the 300? - I'm trying to even out some of the differences when we shoot in very harsh light and the girls are in flashy outfits, etc... I saw the new 3 profiles, which I looked at with the new firmware, and liked the HDR one a lot - esp for outdoor stuff. I think the other is Wide Gamut or something? - the 3rd is s/n - didn't see much difference in low light with that one.

Anyhow... thanks for the reply (s)

Rob Gutermuth
Media Creations

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Jan 28, 2017 at 7:39:09 pm

Sorry. I've not been back to the Vimeo xf300 site for a while, but it appears that they have killed off the forums. Brian Weed was the guy who created the best bunch of profiles. You might be able to find them by Googling his name, xf 300 profile and maybe DVXuser forum. They have pointers to the old Vimeo site, but also discuss camera profiles.

Google this: canon xf300 custom picture profiles

Brian is still listed on Vimeo, but he hasn't done much personal work there lately. He may be working as DOP in LA. Good guy. Ping him directly, I'm sure he'd tell you where to find them.

I found using the BBC profile I got a nice flatter image, that allowed good grading and didn't blow out highlights.
http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/whp/whp-pdf-files/WHP034-ADD50_rev1_Cano...

Here's a good overview.
https://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/2010/07/05/alan-roberts-bbc-tested-the...

It's amazing this camera is still doing so well after 7 years. It's certainly somewhat dated, but still produces outstanding results.

Al

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]