FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Canon EOS Rebel T5i" Will Not Take Photos in an Aspect Ratio of 1920x1080

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Blair
"Canon EOS Rebel T5i" Will Not Take Photos in an Aspect Ratio of 1920x1080
on Oct 2, 2016 at 10:23:54 pm

Hi.

I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong section, I actually just created an account to post this as I haven't found anyone with my problem.

A few days ago, I had purchased the "Canon EOS Rebel T5i" in hopes of being able capture photos of excellent quality. I later noticed that the camera was taking photos in an aspect ratio of 1920x1280 and not 1920x1080 . And when I looked in the "image quality" tab in the settings, there was no 1920x1080 ratio. The only way that I would be able to take photos in that ratio, is if I switch into "video mode" on the camera. I don't like doing this as I have to look at the screen, and it gives me less options.

Please forgive me if I sound a little 'dumb' that I can't figure this out on my own, but I'm not some Canon expert, or someone who knows a lot about technology. I recently just bought it, and so I'm still learning.
Is there some setting/mode that I'm missing? I know this camera is capable of taking 1920x1080 photos, as I've seen it do it in Video mode. If there is something I'm missing, where would I find it?

Once again, please excuse my ignorance, as I'm still new to this camera and unfamiliar with how it operates, and what functions it has.

Thanks in advance.

~ Ryan

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: "Canon EOS Rebel T5i" Will Not Take Photos in an Aspect Ratio of 1920x1080
on Oct 3, 2016 at 2:52:01 pm

I'm not familiar with the T5i specifically, but I am familiar with Canon cameras in general... and it was easy enough to look it up.

It's not the answer that you want to hear, but you can stop driving yourself crazy trying to find that specific option and setting... because it doesn't exist.

From the manual for that camera...
"When using the finder for shooting, the image ratio is [3:2] and cannot be changed."

In other words, when you are using the camera in the "stills" mode (when you can use the optical viewfinder), the aspect ratio is and will always be 3:2, there are no other settings. And 1920x1280 is 3:2.

Is there a specific reason that this would matter? It would be unusual for someone to have a problem with the fact that their photo has more pixels than they were shooting for. Fewer, yes... but more is generally not a problem. It would be super easy to crop 1920x1280 down to 1920x1080, you could even batch crop hundreds of them at once.

For specifics on aspect ratios and what your camera will (and won't) do, you can see this link...
https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART140244

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Ryan Blair
Re: "Canon EOS Rebel T5i" Will Not Take Photos in an Aspect Ratio of 1920x1080
on Oct 4, 2016 at 7:24:36 am

Thank you for your response Todd.

The main reason I had wanted to have the photos be in 1920x1080 was so that I could fit them to be a desktop background for my mother. 1920x1280 leaves 2 black strips on the sides when added as a background.
She has 2 siberians cats that she recently just got, and she's obsessed with them and wanted to have a high quality photo of them on her computer.

"It would be super easy to crop 1920x1280 down to 1920x1080, you could even batch crop hundreds of them at once." Ahh, I see. I was not aware that this was possible.

Thank you for your assistance Todd.

~ Ryan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]