FORUMS: list search recent posts

What video camera would you recommend?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Neuman
What video camera would you recommend?
on Sep 8, 2016 at 2:19:01 pm

I work for this company called Radwell International as a videographer and my boss asked what video camera I wanted as I just operate on a regular Nikon D7100 (DSLR) right now. The company is looking to upgrade and the budget isn't really an issue but somewhere between $2,000 and $5,000 would be ideal. I personally own a Canon Rebel t5i so I'm very fond of the Canon brand, so I figured I'd post my question in this forum to get some suggestions. To get an idea of the kind of videos I shoot at work you can give our YouTube channel a quick peek: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBHG-IjPCBdpxQW1vr99F7w Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
Re: What video camera would you recommend?
on Sep 9, 2016 at 8:50:35 pm
Last Edited By Blaise Douros on Sep 9, 2016 at 8:57:04 pm

I just specced out a B camera rig based on the Sony RX10ii combined with the K2M XLR mic attachment. It shoots 4K if you need it, HD if you don't, and has a 50mbps XAVC-S codec that's capable of slog2 if you're into grading. 24-200 f2.8 constant aperture fixed lens, which is pretty much the perfect range for most video. It seems like a really nice little rig, and at $2000 for the camera and XLR attachment, that would leave you some room in your budget for lights, tripods, wireless mics, and maybe even some sliders.

It's much cheaper than an A7sii rig, with most of the things that I'm interested in out of that platform. Take a look!

I know you're interested in Canon cameras, but right now, even as a lifelong Canon fan, I am not at all excited about their video platforms. The C-series are overpriced and under-specced, and Sony has some unbelievably powerful options for mind-blowingly low prices.

If budget is really not an issue, the other camera you might look into is the Sony FS5. It's bigger than the RX10ii, but is a full-featured lightweight cinema camera, and can take any lens from Sony's native lenses to Canon's L-series. An FS5 with a Metabones Speedbooster and a Canon 24-105L will go a looong way towards making you happy in the long term. But it will cost quite a bit more.

As far as bang for the buck...go with my first suggestion. If they decide to hand you the keys to the vault, get an FS5 or FS7, even :)

Return to posts index

John Foundas
Re: What video camera would you recommend?
on Sep 12, 2016 at 6:55:59 pm

I have no skin in the game as I am currently using the Canon Cinema EOS line...

That being said the recent release of 1 inch sensor, all in one cams should not be ignored.
The Sony z150 and X70 are very solid performers. Nice features, under/over cranking, broadcast spec codecs and decent low light.

Canon is trying with the XC10/15 as well.

Good luck!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]