FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wireless Lav for Canon XA20

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Fulford
Wireless Lav for Canon XA20
on Aug 3, 2016 at 7:48:17 am

Hello everyone,

I'm in need of a wireless lav for my Canon XA20 however I'm not sure if all lav systems are compatible with all cameras. I'm afraid of getting the wrong unit.

Can someone recommend a few lav options for me? I'd like a nice quality unit of around $500 - $600

Thanks for your help, glad i ran across this forum!

John

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
Re: Wireless Lav for Canon XA20
on Aug 3, 2016 at 7:29:12 pm

Anything that outputs to XLR is compatible. Buy away!

You get what you pay for when it comes to wireless lavs; I like the Sennheiser G3 series--not crazy expensive but still quality performers.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Wireless Lav for Canon XA20
on Aug 4, 2016 at 2:31:40 am

John,

Something to consider is that the wireless spectrum is in constant flux these days.

Frequencies that used to be "safe" have been re-assigned for other uses (for example, cellular phones) and are no longer viable. Wireless systems whether traditional UHF or VHF - that were purchased for professional use have simply stopped working.

Also, as production gets more and more affordable - more units are in use - and the possibility of frequency conflicts only increase.

So wireless is getting more difficult to operate, not easier. If you are just looking for something to use for a few years and in limited circumstances where there aren't a lot of other users competing for frequency space, units in your price target will probably be fine.

If you're investing for the long run - it would probably be best to up the budget and look into one of the newer frequency agile digital systems that search for clear frequencies and lock onto them. It's a longer term strategy than fixed frequency these days.

FWIW.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]