FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capturing from XA10 to Premiere

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Yann Aguirre
Capturing from XA10 to Premiere
on Jul 6, 2016 at 6:22:36 pm

Hello,

This is a basic question that I have been somewhat timid to ask because I really feel like the answer is sitting in front of me. I am unable to view the files I capture directly to the camera's internal drive in the finder when I plug it in via usb. Normally I just drag and drop the files from the finder into the Media Browser but with this camera it seems to be impossible.

On the other hand, I can view the files on the camera through the Media Browser. I tried right clicking the clips I wanted and selecting import (I believe) and that didn't work either.

I read somewhere that a proprietary capture program is necessary, but I can only find options for DSLRs. Does anyone have any other leads/solutions?

Thanks,

-Y

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
Re: Capturing from XA10 to Premiere
on Jul 6, 2016 at 10:31:05 pm

I haven't used it in a while, so the following is strictly YMMV. I remember there being a step when plugging the camera into the computer that you needed to do to enable file browsing. You had to press the Playback/Rec button (next to the card slots, the camera/play icon button) when the camera was plugged in to USB. Then you had to select which card/memory slot for the camera to be able to talk to the computer.

If you can, shoot to a card and use a card reader! SD cards are absolutely dirt cheap these days, and you can get a card reader for like, twelve bucks. Way easier.

Make sure to copy the complete file structure, and/or transcode your files to a more browse-able or editable format. The .MTS file structure of that camera is an enormous pain in the butt--you can't move anything around to group it by folder, so if you had multiple setups or whatever on one card, you just had to deal with it in Premiere.

Return to posts index

Yann Aguirre
on Jul 7, 2016 at 1:34:22 am

Thanks for the reply. I used the Playback/Rec button to access the files through Premiere. I just can't get them off the camera. I'll definitely shoot to card in the future if you think that'll help. I've tried dragging and dropping the .MTS file into a desktop folder, but wasn't sure how to open it.
I am able, however, able to load the files through iPhoto. I got really frustrated trying to transcode them using Handbrake and gave up there. I figured there must be a simpler solution, which must be to shoot on cards.
So I just cracked open the manual and found out it's possible to copy internal files to a card. Are you saying that if I were to read the files using a card reader they would be immediately available in the finder? How does this work exactly? Does the camera record to different containers between internal and external storage?

Y

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Jul 7, 2016 at 5:56:21 pm

No, it doesn't record to different containers when recording to the card--it will still be MTS. You'll still need to copy the complete folder structure to your hard drive. I used to have problems with audio not playing in Premiere when I dragged only the MTS files to my drive--copying the whole folder structure will keep that from happening.

Nothing changes when you record to the card vs the camera's internal memory--the difference is that the camera doesn't like to act like a card reader. Shooting to card just gets you easy access to the complete folder structure when you plug the card in.

I moved away from the XA10 partially because it didn't shoot in an mp4 or mov wrapper--that crazy AVCHD MTS format was such a pain. So I'd recommend rewrapping or transcoding your media, just so you have easier access for archiving.

If you don't like using Handbrake, how about Adobe Media Encoder?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]