FORUMS: list search recent posts

Buying a Canon 1D-C in 2016 - mistake?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick Simpson
Buying a Canon 1D-C in 2016 - mistake?
on Jun 10, 2016 at 9:52:08 pm
Last Edited By Patrick Simpson on Jun 10, 2016 at 9:57:07 pm

I work in corporate video and we're currently shooting with a C100, 5D MkII, and a T3i.

We're talking about moving into 4K, so we're exploring the usual lower-cost options - GH4, Blackmagic, Sony.

One camera that came to mind is the 1D-C. I know there would be tradeoffs - 8-bit codec, no slow-motion in 4K, form factor isn't great. But, it would be great to be able to 1. easily use our existing Canon lenses and 2. be able to easily match it to our current Canon cameras. I've seen it used for as low as $4,300. And perhaps it would make a good B-cam for a C300 MkII in the future.

Does this seem smart? Are there other cameras you all would consider as well?

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
Re: Buying a Canon 1D-C in 2016 - mistake?
on Jun 10, 2016 at 11:40:24 pm

God, no. The Sony FS7, or even FS5, would be a better long-term investment. Why would you want to shoot low bitrates with no integrated audio, in 2016?

Or, A7SII with XLR K2M adapter for built-in audio--then you still have a more flexible system. You can add an external recorder (Atomos Ninja, or similar) for RAW or ProRes files, and still spend less than on a 1DC, even after a Metabones adapter.

There are some Slog to C-log LUTs out there for easy color space conversions, and all your Canon glass is easily adaptable to Sony's E-mount with a Metabones adapter.

I was a Canon fiend for years, but after shooting the FS7 for awhile, I'm a complete convert. Sony's ability to sandwich high-bitrate 4:2:2 codecs into these bodies has made color work feasible again for lower-budget shooters, and the lens flexibility is SO COOL. I can put literally any lens on these E-Mount cameras with the proper adapter because of the short flange. I mostly shoot L glass with a Speedbooster right now, but anything's possible...Minolta Rokkor? Sure. Contax Zeiss? All day long, even G-series rangefinder lenses. Or Leitz rangefinder lenses.

Not everyone will be as enthused as I am about the current Sony stuff, but I'll tell you what, when I can go outside and capture blue skies in addition to my subject...makes everything a little more pretty, and I don't miss those blown-out AVCHD skies a bit.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Jul 1, 2016 at 7:34:30 pm

While Blase has some good points, I'd be concerned that you wouldn't be able to match the 5d or C100 (I own a 5D mkiii and C100 myself, and owned a T3i once). The Sony's are great cameras, and I now own a GH4 from Panasonic, and a metabones adapter, but it's not easy to match the Canon palette.

If you are looking for 4K from Canon, what about that new XC10? Or do you need it for mainly stills and a little video? It's got a few limitations, isn't the best all around according to the reviews, but for $1999 it seems like a great B camera. Also the new 5D is just about to be released, according to the rumor mill. It is supposed to have 4K. Not as bulky as the 1D-c? Quite a bit cheaper.

Al

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Jul 1, 2016 at 8:50:35 pm

I do it all the time. While FS7 is my main, I also have an XA20 and 5DIII. You have to use the Canon camera as your color benchmark, but it's completely possible.

Return to posts index

Patrick Simpson
on Jul 5, 2016 at 7:01:47 pm

What's your workflow - shooting S-Log 3 on the FS7 and matching it to the 5DIII? What picture profile on the 5DIII?

I am curious to see if a 5D Mk IV could have internal 4K. I'll look into the XC10 but I haven't loved what I've heard so far.

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Jul 7, 2016 at 6:03:27 pm

When I'm shooting to match the two cameras, I shoot the Faithful profile on the 5DIII, and in Custom mode on the FS7 with a standard Rec709 gamma. I can massage the 5DIII footage a little, but I mostly grade the FS7 footage to match the 5DIII, since it has more latitude.

I'm not making use of the full dynamic range of the FS7, but I can't do that anyway if I'm trying to match a 5DIII. For high-production-value shoots, I'm mostly just shooting the FS7 anyway; I only match the 5DIII (as well as an XA20) for multi-cam shoots.

As far as the 5DIV, only time will tell, but again...why wait for a potential half-assed solution with no integrated audio when there's a great option out there already?

I haven't shot the XC10, so I can't comment other than to say it isn't that attractive to me.

Return to posts index

Elroy House
on Jul 12, 2016 at 4:01:06 am

I have heard that FS7 is pretty good. It is hand held and can be useful for long term use

Hi I am new in this area and I have just started out. Looking forward to learn a lot from here.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]