FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD Video camera as webcam

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
clyde villegas
HD Video camera as webcam
on Apr 28, 2016 at 5:13:10 pm

How do you make a video camera with HDMI work as a webcam? The platform that we'll be using only accepts webcam. So we would probably need to convert the HDMI to USB to "fool" the system that we're using a USB webcam. Is this possible? Can this be done through software or would we need a special hardware device? Thanks! God bless.

ut in omnibus glorificetur Deus

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: HD Video camera as webcam
on Apr 28, 2016 at 5:34:22 pm

You need both software and hardware... I've been looking to do this as well, but for a personal project so I've been looking for a real "bargain basement" solution (which there doesn't seem to be).

You'll need a device that takes your HDMI signal and converts it to something that your computer will recognize via USB as a webcam. There are several devices out there, one popular one seems to be the Magewell dongle, at about 300 bucks. Blackmagic also makes a device that will work for about half that. There are devices that gamers use with Playstations and the like so they can record game play on their computers which basically does the same thing... those devices are slightly sub-$100, but I really haven't investigated them yet.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mike Transon
Re: HD Video camera as webcam
on May 3, 2016 at 6:42:12 pm

You could also try to use Raspberry Pi, it's cheap and has many applications, but im not sure about HDMI in though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]