FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon XC-10 4K vs FullHD Does it worth it ? Quality samples and QnA !

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robin Favre
Canon XC-10 4K vs FullHD Does it worth it ? Quality samples and QnA !
on Dec 1, 2015 at 3:00:13 pm

Hi Everybody !

And that's done ! I've just received my brand new XC-10 last week !
After reader many review I decided to go for it.
It will be a very nice B-roll camera for my c-100 !
I've done some test and generaly I'm happy , because it's the same colors as the 100 witch will be nice for me (not to have to color match the 2 cameras).
Also the stabilisation is nice, etc... etc... I'm not here to make a review ;o)

BUT !!!!

I've done some testing between FullHD 1920*1080 and UHD (or nearly 4K). and frankly speaking I thing there is not a big difference between the two... considering that the uhd is 305 Mbps and the 50p full HD is 50 Mbps, I expected a good difference (6 time more bitrate) but that does absolutely not mean 6 times more quality ... far far away from that... just a little bit better when you zoom in at 400% for UHD and 800% for fullhd (so the sizes are matching for testing....

Under here you will find a picture with the different format , and there are few things that are really strange.....

1 - UHD is a little bit better than Full HD but not realy that much considering 4 times resolution and 6 times bitrates.

2 - 25P shoud be better that 50P considering it has 35mbps vs 50 Mbps but twice FPS.

3 - 50i is very strange , with some horizontal stripes stripes passing horizontally... you seen it when you play the video, here it's still fram but you should see it...

So for now considering the UHD is 6 time bigger in file size , and use the expensive CFcard (500 bucks for 1 hour).. I'm now shooting in Full HD ... witch is really not what I expected from this camera considering the promotion and reviews around the web...

So Guys, could you tell me if I completely do something wrong ??? Or does Canon take us for pigeon with a fake 4K performance ?

In advance thank you for your answer, the picture test is here attached, and sorry for my english, I'm swiss french ;o)

Best reagards.

ROBIN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]