FORUMS: list search recent posts

Will Canon C300 HD-SDI output 1080i?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ernie Santella
Will Canon C300 HD-SDI output 1080i?
on Nov 24, 2015 at 12:23:38 am

Quick question.
Will the Canon C300's HD-SDI port output a broadcast 1080i/60 signal if the camera is set to 60i? It should, but just want to confirm, as I have to feed a sat truck 1080i/60 for an interview coming up.

Thanks in advance!

Ernie Santella
Santella Productions Inc.
http://www.santellaproductions.com

Return to posts index

Ernie Santella
Re: Will Canon C300 HD-SDI output 1080i?
on Nov 25, 2015 at 1:28:12 pm

The Cow used to be the place to go for help and advice.

What has happened to this forum? I asked a simple question and not one reply. Even the so-called Moderators don't reply... WTF?

Lame.

Ernie Santella

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Nov 25, 2015 at 4:26:50 pm

Well, as one of the long-time so-called moderators in this forum (as well as a C300PL user) I'll give you an answer and suggestion...

1. I don't know.

2. Test it, it will take just a couple of seconds.

Sorry you feel ignored and that this forum is lame... but you have to understand that the Canon forum has very little traffic in it (much less than many of the other forums), AND you are asking about one of the higher-end cameras that many members do not use or have access to, AND you are asking about a feature that very few people would ever have any need to use (I personally have never had need to even uncap the HD-SDI port, and I use the camera every day), therefore they simply do not know.

But, I cannot imagine why the HD-SDI port would not output the 60i signal. That's pretty much what it is there for.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Ernie Santella
on Nov 25, 2015 at 5:34:54 pm

Thanks Todd for the reply. It just seems that in years past, there would always be an answer to questions by either another user or the Moderator would answer. My question is not a difficult one.

The problem is, I cannot go to the shoot without knowing if it will output 1080i/60. It's a bit late to show up and the network screams at me. That's not professional.

No insult to you personally, but how can you be a Moderator on the forum when you do not own, use or even know how a C300 works?

Ernie Santella

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Nov 25, 2015 at 6:10:49 pm

[Ernie Santella] "No insult to you personally, but how can you be a Moderator on the forum when you do not own, use or even know how a C300 works?"

Well firstly... this is a general Canon Cameras forum, not a C300 forum.

Secondly, please forgive me if I do take the wording of that as a bit of an insult. Considering both the current and many fine legacy cameras in use, there are literally dozens of models of Canon cameras in use that all fall under the purview of the "Canon Cameras Forum." To question my position as a forum host (which is both a thankless and powerless position) because I can't readily answer one question about one feature on one particular camera is, frankly... well, insulting.

I can assure you that I "know how a C300 works," own one, and use it every day.... but even if I didn't there is no need to question that in a snarky tone.

I also own/use five other Canon cameras of different models. I can assure you I don't know every single little thing about each of them either. No one does.

[Ernie Santella] "there would always be an answer to questions by either another user or the Moderator would answer. "

I could have initially answered, but my answer would have simply been "I don't know." Since I, like many people, get email alerts that I stop whatever I'm doing and check when there is a post in one of the several forums here I host I personally find it a little annoying when someone chimes in to basically say they have nothing to contribute but feel the need to answer anyway.... so I didn't do that.

I personally shoot virtually everything in 24p (maybe once in a blue moon I'll shoot 30p), but I don't think I've ever even once had need for the C300 to shoot 60i... nor ever had need for HDI output.... so, as incomprehensible as it might be, there are a couple of little minor things I simply do not know firsthand.

[Ernie Santella] "I cannot go to the shoot without knowing if it will output 1080i/60. "

Then test it. Pick up the camera, plug in a cable, and see what signal you are getting out of the SDI port. There may be a menu setting where you have to activate the port or assign what signal it gets. I don't know because I have never had any reason to know that nor expect to ever need that feature. I'm sure you can look it up in the manual.

If yours isn't handy, it's here... even searchable.
http://cinemaeos.usa.canon.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/eosc300-300pl-im6...

I would look for the answer myself since I'm sure it is easy to find, or walk next door to the stage where the C300 happens to be still set up from a shoot yesterday and test it myself... but for some reason I do not feel too motivated to do so.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]