FORUMS: list search recent posts

C100 clips won't play smooth, not sure if it's card or camera issue?!

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
adam mondon
C100 clips won't play smooth, not sure if it's card or camera issue?!
on Oct 26, 2015 at 4:44:04 pm

Hi,

Hope someone can help me on here.
I've shot some footage on the C100 and am having problems in post.
None of the clips play smooth and seem to have a judder effect.
I shot them in 50i by mistake but it doesn't look like interlacing is the problem.
I have tried deinterlacing in the timeline on FCPX and Premiere Pro, rewrapping clips, exporting both interlaced and deinterlaced.

One thing that did happen when I was shooting was that it came up as 'operation not valid' when I pressed record. That seemed to go after I formatted the card.

That same command has come up in another shoot and had to switch to B slot.

The card was a Sony high speed card and the camera was;t set up with any crazy high shutter speeds.

Has anyone had such an issue before?

Thanks in advance.

Link to a sample clip is below. It's been rewrapped in 'clipwrap' as 'same as source' format. Can provide MTS file if needs be

9379_00043.mov.zip

Return to posts index

Hugh Hill
Re: C100 clips won't play smooth, not sure if it's card or camera issue?!
on Oct 28, 2015 at 12:22:13 pm

Hi Adam,

I seen your message on the Canon forum too, I don't use the C100 I have the C300 which is similar and havent been able to replicate it.

What is your PC/Mac specs?
Have you used the C100 before using the same settings and if so how was the footage then? (I have to ask.)
Can you give us the cameras settings ie you said the frame rate you used was 50i which is interlaced
at 1080? and how many fps?
was this at 1080 and how many fps 25?
I am only asking to try and work out what could be causing it.

So I downloaded the file and watched it first in quicktime (choppy as heck) then in VLC Media Player (Much, much smoother) and lastly in windows media player and here it played near flawlessly.
try viewing it with another player (not QuickTime)if this helps then maybe its your output settings?

Anyone else have any ideas?

Best

Hugh Hill

"There are those who may,
And those who will,
Or so they say.
Lastly there are those special few,
Who say nothing -
But in their actions DO! (HH)

Return to posts index

adam mondon
on Oct 29, 2015 at 10:57:31 am

Thanks for the reply.

I haven't used the C100 with same settings before.
My mac is macbook pro retina,2.7 intel i7,16GB memory
shutter speed was 1/50 at 25fps

Will try other players and see if I have any luck.
Not sure how that will help me in the edit though???

Cheers

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Oct 29, 2015 at 2:42:55 pm

Well, this is not going to be a lot of help to you....but... the clip plays perfectly for me.

I first tried it in the VLC Media Player, which is my go-to player for .mov files (we so rarely use .mov files that I only have an ancient version of the Quicktime Player installed, so I didn't even try that). I then imported it into editing and put it on a matched-settings timeline in Adobe Premiere CS6. Again, it played perfectly. All the frames were there and played smoothly... there was no jerk, judder, missing, or repeated frames.

Have you tried putting it on a timeline and then from there exporting a new file (.mov, .avi, whatever) of that shot, and then checked that new clip? I'm thinking that could be a workaround... if your system is actually using all the frames but for some reason just not displaying all the frames, then rendering a new clip might give you something usable. This is different from using some kind of conversion tool to create a new clip, if you do it by rendering out a new one in Premiere or FCP it should give you a new frame-for-frame clip that works well. Be sure that your timeline settings and output settings are exactly the same as the clips.

Good luck....

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

adam mondon
on Oct 30, 2015 at 3:09:30 pm

Thanks for that.

I tried clips in VLC and they wouldn't play properly and keep shutting down VLC.

Did you deinterlace clip in Premiere?

I've tried exporting a clip but still plays the same, could it by anything to do with my mac?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Nov 7, 2015 at 5:45:09 am

Sorry for the late response....

I don't think I de-interlaced. This was an interlaced clip if I recall, right? Assuming it was, I put it on an interlaced timeline... I used whatever the exact same specs as the file had for the timeline.

As for whether it could be a Mac issue, I couldn't say. I've only barely touched a Mac maybe a half dozen times in my life, and most of those where just helping someone move one. I'm totally a PC guy.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]