FORUMS: list search recent posts

C100 MK2 Focusing Challenge

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Seay
C100 MK2 Focusing Challenge
on Oct 19, 2015 at 6:44:27 pm

I have been having focus issues with my C100 MK2. I shoot alot of interviews outside and sometimes need to ped the camera up to get the shot. When I do that, I can't see the VF at all, and barely see the flip open display. It's certainly not enough to maintain critical focus, so I am wondering how other shooters of the C100 handle this situation. I have a Ninja, but it is overblown by the light so it is difficult to see also. Is there some sort of VF extender out there that would solve it?

Just curious about your experience and methods of handling this situation.

Thanks

TV- It's why Kennedy beat Nixon
david seay
http://www.davidseayproductions.com

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: C100 MK2 Focusing Challenge
on Oct 19, 2015 at 7:16:34 pm

This is not exactly applicable to your camera, as I use the C300PL, not the C100... but it might give you some ideas as to what's out there...

I usually try to use a real external HD monitor when I'm shooting something critical, but when I can't and have to rely on the LCD screen I'll often use a viewfinder loupe, made by Hoodman...

If I use that combined with focusing aids (usually monochrome + peaking + edge detection) then I can usually ensure razor focus even without a monitor... fortunately the C300's LCD has (I think) 900 lines of resolution, so it's one of the rare on-camera TTF screens that is good enough to focus by.

I often like shallow DoFs so I often shoot wide wide open (and for most of my primes that's f/1.3) so sometimes my depth of field is really miniscule and I too have really had to work at good focus... and the loupe helps a lot.

The Hoodman loupes aren't perfect, and I had to rig up that mounting band (two elastic hair bands sewn together). The really good ones are the Diety Mira and the one from Zactuo (especially the Mira), but they are a tiny bit pricey (about $700 and almost $500). I'm not usually one to skimp on gear but since I only use a loupe relatively rarely I'm making do with the one that's a third the price.

I'm not sure if any of that is applicable/transferrable to your situation with the C100... but maybe it is, or will at least spark some ideas.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]