Steve Saxon
Canon C300 mark II/Zacuto
on Oct 6, 2015 at 6:10:34 pm

Hello all

I just received my Canon C300 Mark II.

I thought I would go with Zacuto's Grip re-locator and other accessories

Wrong choice.

Do not buy the re-locator. Its Trash!

Not yet ready for market. The issues are: plug will not stay in side of camera. So it does not work when needed. Then the attached device to hold grip to the 15mm rails. Does not lock in and stay. Almost loss camera off my shoulder twice by trying to hold camera from grip.

The shoulder mount/VCT combo is not good for someone who has a regular size shoulder. Its too small. Really hard to work with.

Sad to said...it junk. Dont buy it.

Gractical HD viewfinder is good. But... a little color shift happens when you a adjust your angle of view...a couple degrees shift. which makes you worry about what camera is doing. But its the viewfinder. Color shift meaning Slight green tinge. Common with narrow angles of view when looking at OLED.

Steve

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Canon C300 mark II/Zacuto
on Oct 6, 2015 at 6:43:19 pm

Interesting to know... and surprising. Zacuto usually makes really good stuff, pretty much the only negative things you ever hear about them are how expensive they are. They make the only (that I have found) decent pancake baseplate that works well with the C300, I swear by it every day.

So... otherwise... how are you liking (or loving) the MarkII? We've used the C300PL since they first came out, I guess 3-4 years now and it's my favorite camera ever. I've been trying to decide whether to switch to the MarkII.

Depreciation is the only thing that makes me sad (as always). You can buy a regular C300 for peanuts now (and my used one would sell for even less of course), yet back when we bought it the C300 was a fair bit more than the MarkII version is now... grrrrr. But... that's the way it goes. Of course it has paid for itself a thousand times over, so I really have no room to complain.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Will East
on Oct 6, 2015 at 11:49:32 pm

Yeah, I can see those two problems happening and I don't even own the stuff. A 90 degree adapter on the grip socket should help some. Anytime you have cheap clamp-on devices, it's always a good idea to install a set screw. I steered clear of Zacuto and went with RRM. Trouble is, not many other grip relo options out there that don't attach the same damn way as what you have. RRM doesn't even offer one...

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Oct 7, 2015 at 2:25:59 am

Oookaaaaaaaay....

Now, now, this is of course making me regret responding originally without a little sleuthing first (although I stand by what I said)....

Let's look at a couple of little fun facts....

A poster writes and trashes a Zacuto product. A brand new COW member. One that just signed up today, apparently to make one negative post. What legit poster does that? Answer: none. (a new poster who, by the way, has absolutely zero profile info)

So... this poster gets a response from someone else sympathetic of the trashing, who recommends products from a different company. Oh, did I mention this is also a brand-new poster? Who just signed up today? Who made no other posts other than to substantiate the original post? (who also, by the way, has absolutely zero profile info)

Come on dude, play fair.

Anyone from the COW care to check the IP addresses? (or likely address... singular).

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Steve Saxon
on Oct 7, 2015 at 4:39:42 pm

Oh I'm playing fair.

I don’t spend a lot of time writing on forums. But after my first shoot with this Zacuto gear I felt compel to write something and save a lot of people from the hassles of this gear that does not work. I have been in the biz for over 30 years. And the grip re-locator is a waste of time. Neat idea... but this one is a waste of time and money.

The product needs updating. It can be fixed. Instead of the attachment to the 15mm rail as it is now... needs to be a rosette connection so that it does not slip and twist around the 15mm rail. Second: the pin from the re-locator needs to have a housing that screws back in place of where the grip was. This way it hold the pin in place no matter what type environment you’re shooting in.

Denz seems to have some of this worked out. At least with the rosettes.

I was warned by someone who has Zacuto gear not to buy... but thought I would take a chance...because I was purchasing the Gractical.

Steve

Return to posts index

joseph wilkins
on Nov 1, 2015 at 2:32:56 pm

Food for thought Steve... have been thinking about buying that kit for my new C300mkii.

Todd... go for it. After months of debating the price, I just bought mine and really love the image.

Took it out the box and shot some test footage in my back yard:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]