FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which of these two Canon video cameras should I choose?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sara Alfie
Which of these two Canon video cameras should I choose?
on Sep 16, 2015 at 6:49:06 pm

Hi all,

I produce simple videos for my organization - namely sit-down interviews and "man-on-the-street" stuff using both lav. and small boom mics for audio, which I then edit in Adobe Premiere. I have been using a Nikon D5200 DSLR for this purpose, but I have faced some challenges due to its limitations (no headphone jack, short battery life while recording).

So I am looking at other video cameras to possibly replace the Nikon. I've narrowed it down to two Canon video cameras listed below, but I need help in determining which is best. I am no videography exert, just a corporate comms person with some video editing and design skills. So if there are other options out there I'd appreciate the tips. Definitely needs to be under $1000.

One thing I did notice when comparing the two models below is that the cheaper consumer model (R62), seems to have better specs than the more expensive G20. Any thoughts on why this is? What would I get out of paying more for the other model? Thanks!

Option 1: Canon 32GB VIXIA HF R62 Full HD Camcorder
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1110406-REG/canon_0278c004_32gb_vixia...

Option 2: Canon 32GB VIXIA HF G20 Full HD Camcorder
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/909792-REG/Canon_8063b002_32GB_VIXIA_...

Return to posts index

Rob Gutermuth
Re: Which of these two Canon video cameras should I choose?
on Sep 18, 2015 at 11:45:16 am

Option #3 would be the camera that replaced the G20 - the HF G30 - if you look, you can get one brand new for right at your price point... or lightly used for less (people buy these, and sometimes never use them, etc)

The G30 is a prosumer camera, and is really an XA20 with XLR audio (which you can add for less than the cost difference) It's one of the best cameras you can buy for right at 1K

if you are doing interviews though, you'd really want/need something that will give you XLR ins eventually, and then of course, a pro mic system that uses this... I like the beachtek or the juiced link products for these cameras...

The nice thing about doing it this way, is that you can add on things as you need them... Good Mics are like good lenses... buy them once and then you are done though... I still have some old AKG's that I use that are older than me :-) - but are build like nothing made today.

Good Luck :-)

Rob Gutermuth
Media Creations

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]