FORUMS: list search recent posts

How power an external monitor off the C300 ?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
maciek hamela
How power an external monitor off the C300 ?
on Sep 2, 2015 at 3:45:01 pm

Does anyone have an idea how to power an external monitor with a 3-pin lemo DC in the Canon C300 ? Should we get a lemo to TRS cable ?

Thanks in advance for all your help,

Maciek

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: How power an external monitor off the C300 ?
on Sep 2, 2015 at 5:46:44 pm

I might be confused (likely am), but are you talking about utilizing the two ports (labeled EXT1 and EXT2) on the camera body that connect to the LCD/control unit?... and using those to power another/different external monitor?

If so... those are not LEMO connectors. Yes, they sort of resemble LEMOs, but they are not... they are proprietary Canon connectors. As far as I know they are not available either as a part or for use for anything else. I wish the connectors were available, actually, as I would like to build some extension cables so the LCD and control unit could be used away from the camera.

If that is not what you are talking about, my apologies....

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

maciek hamela
on Sep 7, 2015 at 9:27:40 pm

Yes this the plug I ment. So there is no way of plugging an ext moniotor and powering it off the Canon 300 ?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Sep 7, 2015 at 10:02:41 pm
Last Edited By Todd Terry on Sep 7, 2015 at 10:05:44 pm

I seriously doubt it. The C300 is so power-hungry anyway it would be a very tall order to ask the little 7.5 volt camera battery to power the camera and an external monitor. Even if you could figure out a way, that would sure sap the battery in a hurry.

There are some rigs out there (mostly for handheld configurations, etc.), that include a goldmount or V-mount battery plate on them, so that you can power the camera from a brick for a more robust power source. If you got one of those you could use the power-tap jack that is on the side of the goldmount plate to power an additional device, such as the monitor. Those batteries would be enough to power both the camera and the battery (and they have the electronics inside to convert the 14v brick juice down to what the camera needs.

We too use an external monitor with our C300, but I power it separately. I bought a 12v monitor and wired a goldmount plate onto the back of it, so it is powered by its own battery. Works great.

BTW, those EXT1 and EXT2 jacks on the camera are not only not LEMO connectors, they are not three-pin, either. They are so small I haven't bothered counting them, but there's about 20 pins in one of them, and about 20 holes in the other (if you haven't noticed, one jack is male and the other is female, it is impossible to cross-connect and put the wrong cable in the wrong jack, even though they are numbered).

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]