FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon HF M41 10 Foot Wide Green Screen - Full Body?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Star
Canon HF M41 10 Foot Wide Green Screen - Full Body?
on Jul 20, 2015 at 1:03:11 pm

I have a 10 ft wide cloth green screen (gs). The Canon HF M41 camera lens cannot film full body without going off gs edges. Is this a physical limitation that cannot be overcome or is this the camera's lens limitation? TIA, Dan

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
Re: Canon HF M41 10 Foot Wide Green Screen - Full Body?
on Jul 20, 2015 at 5:42:09 pm

I'm not sure how to answer this question, except to tell you to think about it a little. You have a screen that is 10 feet wide. An HD picture has an aspect ratio of 16x9, or a 1.77:1 ratio. That means that, if we do the math, the maximum height possible for your subject is 5.65 feet tall, or roughly 5'7". That doesn't account for any movement of the edges of the greenscreen, nor does it account for the size offset from the subject to the screen. So yes, it is absolutely a physical limitation.

The real answer to your question, though, is that it doesn't matter if the greenscreen's edges are visible. Frame your shot to get your actor in the shot, and then when you're setting up the composite, use a junk matte to get rid of the sides of the picture.

Shooting greenscreen with the Canon HF M41 will give you a VERY hard time because it shoots with a highly compressed codec that records extremely limited color information. You are likely to get very jagged edges when pulling a key. So be prepared for that.

Return to posts index

Dan Star
on Jul 20, 2015 at 6:25:33 pm

Hi, I am using MXP mode. That is 24 Mbps. Not enough for good color? Are the edges you refer to the subject's clothing or screen edges? Thanks for help! -- Dan

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Jul 20, 2015 at 6:49:52 pm

The subject's clothing, skin, hair, etc...all will have rough edges, likely difficult to remove the green contamination from. 24 mbps or not, the footage will still be AVCHD, which is a 4:2:0 color space, and makes keying extremely difficult. It's not impossible, but you are setting yourself up for a rough time, especially if you're not experienced at compositing.

The reasons why this is the case are too complex for me to write down here--do some googling on 4:2:0 vs 4:2:2 for chroma keying, and you'll see what I mean. You will save yourself major headaches in post if you can rent something with a 4:2:2 codec for this shoot.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jul 20, 2015 at 7:17:46 pm

Depends on a lot of factors... most importantly having perfect lighting, and what you are keying with. An NLE's built-in keyer won't hold a candle to something more advanced like KeyLight or Ultimatte.

I've pulled many a perfect key though back in the 4:0:0 days here... it's certainly not impossible.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]