FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon HF G30 Artifacts

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Gutermuth
Canon HF G30 Artifacts
on Jun 8, 2015 at 12:14:10 pm

Hi All,

so, I have the HF G30, same camera just about to the XA20 (minus the XLR handle)

I noticed that when I was shooting some footage outside, I saw some nasty ghosting on moving images... even medium speed moving images had this... but fast, it looked really bad... distracting almost...

I haven't noticed this as much inside... outside, I did turn ND on... not sure if that was the issue or not... gonna have to play with that when I have some more time.

BUT - what I wondered was... is this the CAMERA or the AVCHD codec causing the issue?

I have tried transcoding the footage in all the 3 Prores choices, and same result - the images playback fine on the camera's LCD screen... or maybe it's hidden better there, not sure. I even tried just a rewrap of the ADVHD footage... same result.

here is a screen shot. notice the arms on the two sides... This was shot in AV 4.0 and 1/8th HD applied... the shutter speed was not slower than 1/60th

the clip is only 1 min long if anyone wanted to see it to really notice what I am talking about...

Rob Gutermuth
Media Creations

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Canon HF G30 Artifacts
on Jun 8, 2015 at 2:47:34 pm

That's weird.

Any way you can upload the original raw source file? Investigating that might help.

Also would help knowing all of your exact camera settings.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Jun 8, 2015 at 4:00:07 pm
Last Edited By Blaise Douros on Jun 8, 2015 at 4:01:48 pm

This looks like offspeed footage viewed on a frame-blended timeline.

You haven't specified the framerate of the footage, transcode settings, or timeline settings. All of these things could contribute to an artifact like this. For example; if you have frame blending enabled, and you brought in 29.97 footage to a 23.976 timeline, it could look like this. If you transcoded 59.94 to 29.97 or 23.976, it could look like this.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jun 8, 2015 at 4:05:04 pm

That's exactly what I was thinking too... seeing the source file would let us know if it is ok or not, but it does clearly look like a "using it at the wrong framerate" issue.

It does not look interlaced though, which is often the problem with this "ghosting." Rather, it looks like two progressive frames blended together.

My guess is that the source footage is fine, that this is happening in post.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Rob Gutermuth
on Jun 8, 2015 at 4:15:07 pm

ok...

AVCHD was the codec in the camera - shot 59.94 aka 60i at 24mps LPCM audio - basically the highest setting the camera allows, short of progressive mode...

So, I take this clip, and all I did was have EditReady transcode it to Prores... no timeline issue, nothing, since I didn't bring it into FCP yet even... just played it back via QT player... EditReady can also just re-wrap the clip... which I guess doesn't change the file, or not supposed to anyways...

I guess I could upload the clip with no audio... it's only a 1 min clip... and I can do this directly off the camera, so it can be seen if that would be helpful?

Rob Gutermuth
Media Creations

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jun 8, 2015 at 4:16:44 pm

[Rob Gutermuth] "...so it can be seen if that would be helpful?"

Yep, that would be super helpful.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jun 8, 2015 at 4:23:08 pm

By the way, that could just be the way your Quicktime viewer is displaying it, mushing frames together for some reason.

Why haven't you tried it in FCP yet??? You'd know instantly if you have an issue or not... this might be a problem that doesn't even exist.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Jun 8, 2015 at 9:08:56 pm

Again, specify your transcode settings. If your program is transcoding it to 29.97 from a 59.94 source, then that's probably the problem.

Also, that particular camera does have a 59.94p setting in addition to 59.94i. Double check which one was set--this looks like two progressive frames blended together. I don't see any interlacing on your still frame you've uploaded.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]