FORUMS: list search recent posts

c100mII: SloMo "special recording" In Camera vs 60p Post Conform

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Campbell
c100mII: SloMo "special recording" In Camera vs 60p Post Conform
on Jun 1, 2015 at 6:36:21 pm

I've been struggling with trying to figure out or even find research on which is better. Capturing sloMo in camera using the Special Recording function and shooting 60p/24p or just shooting 60p and conforming the footage in post. Are their any benefits to one or the other? Conforming in post is just adding another step, but are there any quality concerns shooting this in camera. Is one way better than the other?

Currently special recording can only be accessed in MP4 mode. I generally shoot AVCHD, which is slightly better quality but then I'm stuck with post conversion.

I'm fine with either way, just want to know if one is better than the other. And why use one over the other.

I edit using Premiere and we're talking about 24p footage.

iMac 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7
16 GB of RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB
External RAID 5 in T-Bolt Chasis using eSata
BMD Decklink Studio 2, FSI BM210, KRK Rokit 5s, Mackie 802

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: c100mII: SloMo "special recording" In Camera vs 60p Post Conform
on Jun 27, 2015 at 2:12:33 pm

[Matt Campbell] "Capturing sloMo in camera using the Special Recording function and shooting 60p/24p or just shooting 60p and conforming the footage in post. Are their any benefits to one or the other? Conforming in post is just adding another step, but are there any quality concerns shooting this in camera. Is one way better than the other?"

Shooting 60p and slowing down to 24p gives you a true 2.5X slow motion. This means that you shot more frames knowing you would be conforming to slow-mo (also known as overcranking the camera). Slowing 24p down 2.5X forces the software to try to interpolate the action in between the frames which results in hold frames, where the software will hold a frame and extra frame or two in order to create the slow-mo effect. Shooting 60p provides you all the frames needed for clean, smooth slow-mo. The difference is that 60p is displaying all the frames you shot, just at a slower speed than you shot. 24p is slowing down those 24 frames you shot to something much longer. 60p = more frames and more data for smooth slow-mo. 24p is less frames resulting in software interpolation to make your footage "slow-mo."

If you need smooth and clean slow mo, 60p is always the way to go. And the extra step to conform in PPro is literally only 2-3 extra clicks (right click on footage and choose Modify-->Interpret footage).

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Jul 6, 2015 at 5:51:59 pm

Sorry Ryan, my apologies for not explaining. I well aware of all aspects of post production and frame rates and completely understand software vs. over cranking slowMo. What I'm referring to is the c100mII ability to shoot 60p (conforming to 24p in post) or choosing the c100mII's Special Recording option, shooting 24p in a 60p thus recording slowMo in camera. Both are TRUE over cranked slowMo, but my question is, is one method better than the other. Shooting 60p you need to conform in to 24p in post. Whereas recording it in-camera allows you to not only playback slowMO in camera but allows you to start cutting slowMo footage right away, with no conform.

I just wasn't sure if there is any difference in quality choosing one method over the other.

Example, we just had a shoot using an Arri camera (not sure if Alexia or Amira), but we shot 48fps and recorded in camera directly to ProRes. So our resulting files for slowMo 24p ProRes 4x4 files.

I'm looking to do the same with 60p on our c100mII.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jul 6, 2015 at 6:53:03 pm

Hi Matt...

I would say that bears a side-by-side test (same scene/action, shooting it both ways), which should be easy enough to do.

My suspicion is that the results would be identical.

I don't shoot the C100, but I do shoot the C300 and whenever I want to slow-mo I shoot in 24p mode in the special "slow mo" recording option where I can then adjust my frame rate, up to 60fps. One of the differences for me is that my camera generates .MXF files no matter what mode, so I don't have to worry about the mp4/AVCHD issue. For me, it's just more convenient to go ahead and shoot 24p, PLUS on location playback shows what the actual slow-mo would look like, if I need to adjust anything.

Another reason to shoot 24p, is that I have control over the frame rate. Shooting 60p only gives me 60fps. If that's what I want, that's fine, but maybe I don't want it that slow... if I only want it 2x slow, for example, I can shoot 24p at 48fps... or whatever other frame rate I want. If I shoot at 60p, I'm stuck with that as my only speed choice. Again, I'm speaking about the C300, but I assume the C100 allows those same choices.

Again, I'd be interested in seeing the results of a side-by-side test (but apparently not interested enough to have ever done one myself...ha).

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Jul 6, 2015 at 8:59:00 pm

Thanks Todd. As soon as I find the time, I may just do that test. But my suspicions are the same as yours. And I'm thinking that capturing it in camera is great option, especially being able to play back slowMo to a client right away will be nice. Can adjust speed of actor and other camera movements to taste.

Thanks for your thoughts. I don't think the c100 gives you the options of changing the frame rate speed. I believe its 24, 30 or 60. I haven't found a way to shoot 48. thx again.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jul 6, 2015 at 9:13:02 pm

Ahh... I didn't know that the C100 did not have all the frame rates available, I was hoping it did... pity.

LOTS of commercial footage (for 24p productions) is shot at 30, 32, and/or 36fps... a lot of "slice of life" MOS footage you'll see is shot at those frame rates. It slows things down just enough to make things look pretty and dreamy, but without being an obvious slow-mo.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Jul 6, 2015 at 10:00:37 pm

Ah, I was always curious about that. Cause even 48 seems too slow for some of that stuff. That's good to know. Hmmm, I'm wondering if frame rate options could be a firmware update? That would be sa-weet!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]