COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Taylor
Looking for New or Used Camcorder suggestions
on May 9, 2015 at 2:18:15 pm
Last Edited By John Taylor on May 9, 2015 at 2:30:45 pm

Good morning,

Been shooting primarily with Dslr.

Have a project coming up that would partially pay for a camcorder and this type of camera would be more efficient for run and gun type shooting.

I'm bewildered by the many choices and looking for help narrowing it down.

Basic specs:
2k budget
1080p
wide angle zoom
4:2:2
xlr inputs
sensor size, bit rate, etc.
new or used

Thanks, John

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
Re: Looking for New or Used Camcorder suggestions
on May 10, 2015 at 3:36:31 pm

If you want run and gun, with those specs, I'd look on eBay for used Canon xf300s. They are selling for close to $2k in some cases. They were over $6 a couple of years ago. They are a great run and gun, with the limitation of not being a great low light camera. The small sensors can't compete with larger ones on DSLRs. But for overall use, it's been a great camera for me. Depends on what you plan to shoot.

Al

Return to posts index

John Taylor
on May 11, 2015 at 1:40:39 pm

Al,

I've been looking at the Canon. A buddy of mine has one and likes it. The use for this camera would be shooting available light walkarounds with wireless mike and other situations where the DSLR application would be too much hassle with audio and no zoom capability.

Thanks, John

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on May 11, 2015 at 2:32:45 pm

I'd say that if your available light interviews were in daylight, that would work well. Not sure what I would recommend if you are shooting in low artificial light, or at night. I usually shift to a C100 for that kind of work, but you lose the 4:2:2 workspace, if it is critical. The 300 can work, but you would need supplemental light. Just an FYI, on almost all interviews, I carry a battery operated LED 12x12, so I can punch up faces on overcast days or in shadow. That's used on both my DSLR and 300 shoots. It makes a huge difference, and if used properly doesn't appear overly "lit".

Al

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on May 11, 2015 at 3:57:03 pm

Check out the new Sony PXW X70. Small camcorder format, 10-bit 4:2:2, and XLR inputs. 1080p up to 60 fps.

Return to posts index

John Taylor
on May 16, 2015 at 5:14:41 pm

Thanks all for the suggestions.
JT

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]