FORUMS: list search recent posts

Memory card format issue between Canon C100 and 5D Mark iii

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Newton
Memory card format issue between Canon C100 and 5D Mark iii
on Apr 25, 2015 at 9:26:53 am

Hi all,

I've contacted Canon and the memory manufacturer about this but as yet haven't had a concrete answer. If anyone can help I'd be most grateful!

Here goes...

I recently initialised my memory card inside a Canon C100. I then transferred the card to a Canon 5D mk iii and started filming. Filming was fine but after a while the camera would stop recording mid take. I swapped card and thought nothing more of it. Later on I went to check the card on my Macbook but received the following error message: 'The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer' And then the options Initialize / Ignore / Eject.

I have since tried the card on various other computers (including PCs) and receive variants of the same message. I assume there is footage on my card but I don't have any way of accessing it. I don't think it's a problem with the memory card, I think it is a problem with the formatting procedure I went through. Can anyone help? This footage is very important!

Many thanks,

Alex

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Memory card format issue between Canon C100 and 5D Mark iii
on Apr 25, 2015 at 4:08:46 pm
Last Edited By Todd Terry on Apr 25, 2015 at 4:11:15 pm

Well my first (and the obvious) question is, why would you ever use the C100 to initialize a card for the 5D? Don't do that. Initialize the card in the camera it is intended for. Honestly I'm surprised that it recorded at all... I can't think of any reason not to use the camera that will be shooting on the card.

Ok, now that that is out of the way...

Two questions... firstly, can you see the footage on the card when it is in the camera? Or do you get error messages there, too?

And secondly, do you get this error message when you first put the card into a card reader? Or do you get this within the Canon XF Utility? If you are not using the XF Utility, try that. I'm not super hopeful that will work, but at least it is worth a try.

Barring that, you will have to go the data-recovery route. Some Googling may lead you to some recovery systems that you can buy and try yourself, but a more likely-successful route will be to send it out to a professional data recovery company to get that data back.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Alex Newton
on Apr 25, 2015 at 7:09:41 pm

H Terry,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I had completely forgotten that I had initialized the card in the C100 before transferring it to the 5D. I was suprised it worked too!

Initially I could see the footage in the 5D but now when I put the card back into the camera it says I need to format the card.

Yes, I get the error as soon as I put the card into the reader on my Mac (and also on PC).

I'll give XF utility a go (thanks for the suggestion). Is there a data recovery company that you'd recommend? I've have been recommended so many different ones recently but want to optimise my chances of getting the footage back by using the right one!

Cheers,

Alex

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Apr 25, 2015 at 7:43:42 pm

I really can't recommend any particular company.

We've only had it done once, it worked but it was also widly expensive. But then again, we were having an entire RAID recovered... maybe a card won't be so bad.

We got a recommendation from the local people who do our computer service... you might try that route.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Ernie Santella
on Apr 29, 2015 at 12:53:17 pm

Try Rescue Deluxe Pro. I've used that and it works well to get damaged files off cards.

Ernie Santella
Santella Productions Inc.
http://www.santellaproductions.com

Return to posts index

Alex Newton
on Apr 30, 2015 at 12:53:35 pm

Thanks Ernie, I'll check them out. Will I need to format the card first so that it can be read though? No computers are actually able to read the card at present.

And thanks Todd for the earlier reply (sorry for calling you Terry before!)

Alex

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]