FORUMS: list search recent posts

UDIM User Memo metadata useful?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ray Kowalchuk
UDIM User Memo metadata useful?
on Apr 14, 2015 at 3:26:33 pm

We use Canon XF305 cameras and one XF105. I've come across the UMID metadata settings in the menu (Country code, organization code, user code) and set them, but the manual says that the "Canon XF Utility cannot display or search this information." Has anybody found this information useful in an NLE or asset management software?

Similarly, there is a "User Memo" that can be set up on an SD card with the Canon XF Utility that contains "clip title" and "camera operator" (or is it "Creator?") fields of up to 100 characters, and a "clip description" of up to 1000 characters. Up to 100 Memo Profiles can be saved on one SD card, so although XF Utility may be awkward to be typing in on location, you can create presets in advance.

The XF Utility manual shows how to create, edit and delete User Memo Profiles. The only thing missing is why on earth you'd want to create them! Does this metadata carry forward to any other application, like Avid Media Composer, Adobe Premiere Pro or Prelude, CatDV? Is anybody using this data, even within XF Utility -- or XDCAM Utility in the Sony world?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: UDIM User Memo metadata useful?
on Apr 14, 2015 at 3:32:40 pm

[Ray Kowalchuk] " Is anybody using this data"

I shoot the C300 every day, and use absolutely no metadata whatsoever.

Every now and then I might go back in the XF utility and look at something very basic (maybe to see how much ND I had on a shot, what ISO a shot was at, or the exact color temp, etc.) if I have a shot from an older shoot that I was curious about or wanted to match, but even that is rare.

I wouldn't stretch your brain too much wondering what you should be using this for... if it's not something you've been wanting waiting and itching for, then it's likely something you don't need :)

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Ray Kowalchuk
on Apr 14, 2015 at 3:44:54 pm

Yeah, Todd, we've never used any custom metadata before, and it's a dodgy prospect to expect every new shooter to know our preferences should we decide to make it part of our workflow. Yet we do have asset management servers in our post facility and spend a lot of time logging information that could be preset to be "preloaded" into the clip -- the shooter, the location...there's even GPS geotagging should anybody wonder where on earth (literally) that shot was taken. It seems like there's potential, yet the rope bridge between camera feature developers, SMPTE establishers of UDIM, camera operators, editing ingest engines and NLEs has too many slats, and maybe too many crocodiles down below.

I think there's a paradigm shift for MAM in the future that may connect these dots. You knew where your tapes were stored. In this file based world, do you know where your files are? There's a new one every time you hit the record button...

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Apr 14, 2015 at 3:48:57 pm

It just depends on how you work.

All that info could be greatly useful... if you need it. And some people probably do.

For others, like me, it's a solution in search of a problem. I don't need it, so I don't use it.

I haven't even tried to set much of that custom info that you mention. Sounds like it's a bit clunky... glad I don't use/need it.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]