FORUMS: list search recent posts

XF105 Compact Flash

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Caruana
XF105 Compact Flash
on Apr 10, 2015 at 12:50:02 pm

At the time this camera was available (and still, according to Canon's Knowledgebase) maximum confirmed working card is San Disk 128G Extreme Pro.

I am about to order and would like 256G cards, or better yet, 2 512G cards. What higher capacity cards have worked and not worked in this camera?

My 64G San Disk is just extreme, not pro, and works fine. Wondering if I have to spend the extra money for Pro versions of higher capacity cards, if they even work at all.

Return to posts index

Rob Gutermuth
Re: XF105 Compact Flash
on Jun 8, 2015 at 11:35:35 am

Hi Mike,

I'd like to know the exact same thing... it would be an expensive gamble for sure, since 256 cards aren't that cheap even now :-)

I know that for my little Vixia G30 (xa20) they claim that the camera can address 2TB of memory... I would never buy a 2TB card even if they were $50, and normally use 64gb cards, but these are also SD vs CF for the xf100/105

BTW - how do you like that camera? - more specifically, the codec it uses... I assume that since you have the 105, you are using the SDI output as well? - curious how that compares to the internal codec?

I'm toying with moving to a couple of those and an xf305... but the codec is newer, and wondered how it compares to something like sdi output directly to prores?

Thanks

Rob Gutermuth
Media Creations

Return to posts index

Mike Caruana
on Jun 8, 2015 at 12:10:12 pm
Last Edited By Mike Caruana on Jun 8, 2015 at 12:11:17 pm

SanDisk 256G cards work. I called B&H to check before ordering and was told to update the firmware on the camera first.

I love the camera. The codec is excellent. I find myself using the internal codec much more than the SDI out since the cards can hold a lot more footage than uncompressed output and quality difference is not that noticeable, even for greenscreen keying, which is why I wanted SDI out in the first place.

The only downside is the mx wrapper the codec uses. I've had other people borrow my camera (or record footage for them) and they were unable to use it. There are extra steps -- You have to use the Canon utility to grab the files off the card, combine them together, then convert to a mp4 or avi. I have the mx presets in Adobe Premier Pro, so the file can just be dropped on the timeline, but I'm not even sure how I got them there. I think they were installed with BlackMagic software.

Return to posts index

Rob Gutermuth
on Jun 8, 2015 at 1:04:00 pm

Yeah, that's what I heard too, but I guess there is always a workaround :-)

so, Im guessing with a 256gb card, you can get about 6 hours of video at the highest bit rate? (is that 50mps?)

did you stay with the extreme San Disk cards, or did you go up to the Ex Pro cards? Costly?

Thanks

Rob Gutermuth
Media Creations

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]