FORUMS: list search recent posts

70D Video disappears when the battery dies

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zac Miller
70D Video disappears when the battery dies
on Mar 26, 2015 at 10:42:45 am

I'm using a 70D as one of the cameras on a feature length documentary. I've been shooting for two months and at least twice now the camera has lost a clip that was being recorded when the camera battery died.

Today I lost 6 minutes of video!

I'm not using magic lantern (only the alpha build for the 70D is currently available as far as I know) or anything else that would change the way the camera is recording.

I am however using a mixture of genuine Canon and other batteries like wasabi power, etc. That said, I have never heard of batteries being responsible for a problem like this.

I'm using extremely fast 64GB SD cards (90mb/sec speed), which are easily able to keep up with my 1080 24p All-I recording.

Has anyone else heard of this happening with the 70D or even with canon in general?

I'm not sure if it's only my camera (in which case I would take the camera to Canon) or if this is a known problem with the 70D, in which case I throw myself on the mercy of the message board. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: 70D Video disappears when the battery dies
on Mar 27, 2015 at 8:28:15 am

[Zac Miller] "Has anyone else heard of this happening "

Yes. Either use a dummy battery with a bigger power source, a battery grip or just try to stop recording before you run out of juice so the camera can safely write the file.

Return to posts index

Zac Miller
Re: 70D Video disappears when the battery dies
on Mar 27, 2015 at 11:54:55 am

Thanks Tero. I will have to invest in a battery grip.

After doing some tests I've found that I only lose footage a smallish percentage of the time when the battery dies. I'm wondering if it may have to do with certain batteries maybe. Sigh.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]