FORUMS: list search recent posts

I need a Camcorder in the 2K Range. Ideas?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Blake Porter
I need a Camcorder in the 2K Range. Ideas?
on Feb 11, 2015 at 3:30:10 am

I'm in need of a smallish camcorder in $2,000 range. I'm retiring a Sony AX2000.
For outdoor adventure footage. It will need a decent zoom, and it's gotta be good in low light. XLR's might be nice.
Thanks for your ideas!

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
Re: I need a Camcorder in the 2K Range. Ideas?
on Feb 20, 2015 at 10:53:41 pm

I just posted in a thread above yours about the Canon XA20.

https://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/59/862500

Take a look at it, it does pretty well in low-light, has a decent zoom lens, and XLRs; best part, it weighs in at 2.2 lbs, so it's as light a camera with these features that you'll find, perfect for outdoor adventuring (that's the footage I shoot as well).

Check out this hunting film shot on the previous model, the XA10.

The camera's size allowed my crew to stay light, fast, and agile to keep up with the hunters. I didn't shoot this one, but I did edit it--the footage will hold up to some color correction.

Return to posts index

Blake Porter
on Feb 20, 2015 at 11:09:25 pm

That was an epic elk adventure. That camera guy DID almost get smashed by that bull!
XA20 quality looks pretty good. Smooth tones.. a soft but crisp look... Not harsh.
Thanks for the feedback!
Blake

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
on Feb 22, 2015 at 1:08:34 am

Hi Blake - Here's a slightly edited version of the answer I gave in the previous thread:

You might want to consider an Ultra High Def "4K" upgradeable $2088 Sony PXW-X70 camcorder with a 1" sensor. This camera also features HD-SDI out (in addition to HDMI), built-in ND filters, dual media slots and readiness for 4K with a paid upgrade that will be available early this year.

And the X70's amazing optical steady shot system makes for very stable handheld shots.

Walking shots in this travel piece are an example of what the X70 can do:

Here it is intercut with the Panasonic GH4 in an indoor single musician live performance:

It's also a good exterior B roll camera, as seen here:

In my view, the X70's modern and robust 10-bit codec, pro features and optical steady shot system make it the best choice in this price class.

Hope this is helpful!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Mar 21, 2015 at 8:55:01 pm

I've been using a Sony HXR-NX 30 P with no issues, especially as it produces stills in the order of 25mb +. Image stabilization with floating Ziess lens is efficient.

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]