FORUMS: list search recent posts

C100/C100 Mark II camcorder thoughts.. coming from a DSLR background.

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marios Karageorgiou
C100/C100 Mark II camcorder thoughts.. coming from a DSLR background.
on Feb 2, 2015 at 8:31:11 pm

Hi everyone,
Im working on a web TV channel that I do as Camera operator and post production a lot of interviews and TV series and recently I sold my gear (5d3, lenses, flash, rigs, tripods etc) to move to C100 or C100 Mark II. The reason I took this decision is that I need an all in one solution.Im tired of hooking, unhooking gear on my Rig, to rebalance it every time I need to change something, to work without waveforms, zebras, peaking (I know I was using ML but still its a pain when you have to take care 100 things and the time is not enough) and so many other things, etc.
So after seeing hundreds of reviews and comparisons and with a tight budget of 5k I thought that the best solution for Run n Gun situations shall be the C100.I saw that it has amazing quality and cinema look by using the C=Log from Canon but there are a few things that makes me scare to dare and thinking to wait until 5D Mark IV will come out.I thought that I could go for a7s with 4k external recorder by Atomos but I really don't like how this camera renders the skin tones.Don't get me wrong Im a big fan of Sony and I know that A7S is a beast but in my opinion the color reproduction Canon cameras have no other camera has.
So after testing the sharpness of C100, Wide DR, low light performance it was clearly much better than my 5D3.
The things that scares me a bit is that after watching as I mentioned earlier many videos of C100 is that in most situations the image was looking like a camcorder's look.I can't describe what I mean because by saying Camcorder look I know it doesn't exist and again the look of C100 was looking something like an old technology and Im not talking about the colours.Its very weird.. the image its sharper but it doesn't look like the one I was recording with my 5d3.. more solid maybe?
The 2nd and final things which matters me also is the lack of vivid colours, colourful video which Im using it in many other things like a day after making a trailer for a married couple and I have them in a location with a river in the forest for example and want to use very vivid colours.So I saw C100 EOS standard profile but its far away from my 5d3.. less colours, saturation and Im not sure if I can bring this in post production.
Im struggling right now and don't know what to do.. any help would be much appreciated Guys!
Thanks.
P.S Sorry for my bad English.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
Re: C100/C100 Mark II camcorder thoughts.. coming from a DSLR background.
on Apr 3, 2015 at 2:16:38 pm

I have both a 5D Mark III and C 100 1st generation. I vastly prefer shooting video with the C 100 and don't understand what you mean when you say you can't get vivid colors out of it. Like much video you need to work with post production to bring out the best in the colors. However 5D in my opinion crushes blacks worse than the C 100. You will need to learn how to best set up your camera settings to get the style that you were looking for just like you had to learn on your 5D. The camera settings out of the box are a bit contrasty and don't necessarily give you the best image quality. In fact I often shoot in customize settings and then boost things a bit in postproduction. The overall quality far surpasses the 5D in my opinion.unless I am needing stills, I always choose the 100 over the 5D. Hope this helps.

Al

Return to posts index

Marios Karageorgiou
Re: C100/C100 Mark II camcorder thoughts.. coming from a DSLR background.
on Apr 4, 2015 at 10:53:50 pm

Thank you for your help Al.
Yes things now are very clear since I got in my hands C100 MKII a couple of weeks now.
I was talking about the colors because I couldn't find any video with C100 recording with EOS picture profile cause I wanted to make a comparison how colorful were the colors between these two.I was thinking that it will be very nice to be able to shoot internally vibrant colors with crushed blacks like my old 5d3 without the need to apply my clips in post everytime.So when I used for 1st time EOS picture profile on my C100 I was amazed and I can say that I like it even more than my 5d3.Ofc I have to confess that from the time I started using this camera I didnt use this pp again because I find it "video" or lets say better "plastic" look if you can understand what I mean.As I said I just wanted a ready to go profile with vibrant colors when I use the camera for personal use, like when Im recording my little daughter in the park for example and want something colorful and w/o the need of post.. but again even when I use my camera like this I prefer to use Wide DR as I find much better in terms of DR and accurate colors.The only thing I can't explain is that when I connect my camera via Hdmi to my monitor Dell U2413 or to my Samsung LE32B650 and push the iso until 20000 I see very little noise.. but if I take the SD out and use it with the same monitor/tv the noise is much much more and visible.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]